New MPs reissues

mikeweil

The latest volume of Universal Germany's newspaper, Jazz Echo, announces six new MPS reissues:

Kenny Clarke - Francy Boland Big Band: All Smiles

dtto: More Smiles

dtto: Fellini 712

Nelson Riddle & his Orchestra: Changing Colors

dtto: Communictaions

Horst jankowsky Group: Jankowskeynotes

For all who don't yet have the CBBB's, this is the moment!

as for those Koller disks: www.zweitausendeins.de offers them for 7.49EUR. (< $10).

I believe shipping to the US is rather steep (22 EUR), but if you pick up a larger number of titles it may become interesting, expecially considering their low prices.

Maybe one of us Germans should buy a truckload and distribute them.

Edited by couw

when were these recorded Mike?

All Smiles was recorded May 13-14, 1968

More Smiles was recorded May 28, 1969

Fellini 712 was recorded December 2-3, 1968

all at EMI Lindström Studios, Cologne, by Wolfgnag Hirschmann.

The latter was available on CD on the 1995 Verve / Motor Music CD "Three Latin Adventures", MPS CD 529 095-2.

The same old game, that CD contained three (!) LPs (Latin Caleidoscope and Cuban Fever were the other two), and the Smiles sessions would both have fit on one CD - but now we have to buy them one for one for more money, in the end ... :rolleyes:

... and John, for any discographical CBBB question, you can have a look at this website - be warned, the layout sucks.

Edited by mikeweil

thanks for the info Mike (and the link!)

considering these are packaged very nicely and sound great, I am not going to mourn that there's only one LP on each disk.

I have found this a very interesting series of reissues. I have kept away from the 70s stuff as the whole fusion angle MPS took then doesn't rock my boat. Good music for sure, but I'd rather listen to the 50s and 60s albums.

couldn't find a bigger one of this (you gotta ask couw or some other google-wizard):

moresmil.jpg

Mike, the Three Latin Adventures disc (I have it, but not at hand) - weren't there not only two albums, Fellini being one of them, the two suites you mentioned the other? Then they came up with the number "three" in the title, as there were three suites included, two half-lp-lenght, one full-lp-lenght?

I'm not sure, but otherwise, the two latin things would have been really short (20 minutes) LPs, no?

ubu

I recently bought a 2CD CBBB compilation that contains quite a lot of the material from 'All Smiles' and 'More Smiles' and am very impressed. Really interesting and fresh arrangements of standards with lots of great solos from musicians who deserve to be better known. I would recommend everyone to grab these releases.

Mike, the Three Latin Adventures disc (I have it, but not at hand) - weren't there not only two albums, Fellini being one of them, the two suites you mentioned the other? Then they came up with the number "three" in the title, as there were three suites included, two half-lp-lenght, one full-lp-lenght?

I'm not sure, but otherwise, the two latin things would have been really short (20 minutes) LPs, no?

You're right, the first two suites were the two sides of the LP "Latin Kaleidoscope".

"Fellini 712" with its 32 minutes was an LP of its own.