Best adhesive to fix broken CD cases?

I once used a razor to cut out a center hub from a old CD tray and I glued that hub onto another tray that had broken teeth (after I cut out those old broken teeth. I don't remember why I did this but it worked. I believe I used superglue.

I have also glued down plastic center hubs that I cut out of old trays into CD cases that used a simple foam plug to hold the CD. Those foam posts were a terrible idea and I'm glad that they never became a standard.

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

I once used a razor to cut out a center hub from a old CD tray and I glued that hub onto another tray that had broken teeth (after I cut out those old broken teeth. I don't remember why I did this but it worked. I believe I used superglue.

I have also glued down plastic center hubs that I cut out of old trays into CD cases that used a simple foam plug to hold the CD. Those foam posts were a terrible idea and I'm glad that they never became a standard.

I’m trying to figure out which kind of glue is best for that type of plastic, for a small surface area that needs to withstand stress. 

5 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

In Germany we have online shops selling all kinds of CD trays, here is a six CD tray:

https://cdn02.plentymarkets.com/2gppe2bbih4e/item/images/100494/full/100494-CD-Jewelbox-6fach.jpg

Thanks Mike. I can get that here too and if necessary that will be my backup. But because it is a six and not a five I don’t think it will accommodate the booklet. So my first line of defence is to glue the one I have. 

But even if yours is a five, does it mean that there is any additional internal distance between any two surfaces? If they have substituted one of the double-sided trays for a single-sided one, that would usually mean that the total thickness is the same. Which would then mean you could go for the replacement sixer, maybe even switching one of the double-sided trays for a common tray from a single jewel case, as to not have any empty trays. 

But if this is all about saving the planet, finding out if the operation is possible and/or lock-down therapy, I'm all for it! 

:)

Edited by Daniel A

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

But even if yours is a five, does it mean that there is any additional internal distance between any two surfaces? If they have substituted one of the double-sided trays for a single-sided one, that would usually mean that the total thickness is the same. Which would then mean you could go for the replacement sixer, maybe even switching one of the double-sided trays for a common tray from a single jewel case, as to not have any empty trays. 

But if this is all about saving the planet, finding out if the operation is possible and/or lock-down therapy, I'm all for it! 

:)

I’ve thought if that, but I’m still going to try to glue it as my first option. 

If you are talking about trying to glue on separate teeth or something similar, the stresses on those teeth will likely make it impossible to glue something in there that would withstand jamming a CD onto it. I've never had any luck fixing broken teeth. That's why I cut out a whole hub. The hub can be glued in and withstand the force of removing the CD from the hub. As for the type of glue, superglue, probably sold under the brand name Gorilla Glue, is probably the best. In my experience, it is the only stuff that works well with small pieces.

FWIW, I have also tried using superglue to glue broken hinges on a CD case. That never worked. After a couple of open/close actions, the case would always fall apart.

If I remember correctly, the first time I did this was to repair broken teeth on a fatboy case that held 3 CDs. The teeth on one side of the center piece broke and I couldn't find a double-sided hub replacement for a fatboy case. So I cut out a hub from another CD tray around the large circle (~1 inch) and after I shaved off the old teeth from the broken tray, I glued that down and it worked fine. Now I will admit that this hub stuck out a bit more that the old one because it was basically a "hub on a hub", but it wasn't enough to interfere with the closing of the case.

5 minutes ago, bresna said:

If you are talking about trying to glue on separate teeth or something similar, the stresses on those teeth will likely make it impossible to glue something in there that would withstand jamming a CD onto it. I've never had any luck fixing broken teeth. That's why I cut out a whole hub. The hub can be glued in and withstand the force of removing the CD from the hub. As for the type of glue, superglue, probably sold under the brand name Gorilla Glue, is probably the best. In my experience, it is the only stuff that works well with small pieces.

FWIW, I have also tried using superglue to glue broken hinges on a CD case. That never worked. After a couple of open/close actions, the case would always fall apart.

It’s the hinge on the central piece. I’ve never had any luck either. It’s a question of which kind of superglue (there are many...).

1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

It’s the hinge on the central piece. I’ve never had any luck either. It’s a question of which kind of superglue (there are many...).

Yeah, in my experience, you're out of luck there. Too much stress on that joint. I can't think of any glue that will hold up to the forces of opening and closing the case. One time, I considered cutting the entire top off of another case and gluing that in there but it would look pretty ugly when it was done so I just gave up trying to fix hinges.

Is it something like this?

5 Disc Multi CD Jewel Case

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Yeah, in my experience, you're out of luck there. Too much stress on that joint. I can't think of any glue that will hold up to the forces of opening and closing the case. One time, I considered cutting the entire top off of another case and gluing that in there but it would look pretty ugly when it was done so I just gave up trying to fix hinges.

Is it something like this?

5 Disc Multi CD Jewel Case

Not the same as that but - details aside - I’m glad to know at least one other person has confronted these MAJOR DILEMMAS! 😉