Keith Jarrett Corner

mjzee

A search shows many individual Keith Jarrett threads but not one all-encompassing "corner," so here it is.  I don't know if some people still feel the compulsion to rant about his vocalizing, but if they do, please get it over with quickly so we can then discuss the music.

I'll start by posting a link to an interesting blog post: The Story Behind Keith Jarrett's Trio, 1967-1972

Those trio albums are enjoyable but this band was much much better after Dewey Redman joined.

I know it is a minority opinion but the best Jarrett is combos with horns, followed by Jarrett in trio format, followed by piano solo Jarrett, followed by multi instrument solo Jarrett.  The guy benefits from having his “heroic self expression” bounded by consideration for other musicians.

55 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Those trio albums are enjoyable but this band was much much better after Dewey Redman joined.

I know it is a minority opinion but the best Jarrett is combos with horns, followed by Jarrett in trio format, followed by piano solo Jarrett, followed by multi instrument solo Jarrett.  The guy benefits from having his “heroic self expression” bounded by consideration for other musicians.

I basically agree with that and don't forget the "classical" stuff, which brings up the rear. 'Expectations' remains my favorite Jarrett album almost 50 years on.

2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I know it is a minority opinion but the best Jarrett is combos with horns, followed by Jarrett in trio format, followed by piano solo Jarrett, followed by multi instrument solo Jarrett.

yes to this. The American and European Quartets for me, sometimes one is my favourite sometimes the other, great musicianship in both.  I also very much like this trio https://www.ecmrecords.com/shop/143038752916/hamburg-72-keith-jarrett-charlie-haden-paul-motian

I can long a very long time without feeling the need to listen to any Jarrett mind you. 

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The American and European Quartets for me, sometimes one is my favourite sometimes the other, great musicianship in both. 

Agreed.  And they are very different from each other.

Great player but not one of my favorites. But one of his records is one of my favorite: it’s the Survivors Suite. I think I like the American Quartet  best especially because of Dewey Redman. I really never cared a lot for the solo and standards stuff.