America unleashed

Just now, felser said:

At least it's above the Mendoza Line (and do I ever miss baseball).

Yes, let us aspire to a non-statistically shameful level of mediocrity in all things!

As for missing baseball, the Rangers are still undefeated and the Astros have yet to win a game. What's to miss?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, catesta said:

It was an ATM in a residential area and one of the dudes blew himself up in the process. What if an innocent person got caught up in that? Shit is pretty blatant these days.

Wait, are you conflating the need for strong and efficient law enforcement with the complete irrelevance of who provides it?

I mean, ok, if my girlfriend is lousy in bed, does that justify me getting it on with my sister? Immediate needs supersedes means of fulfillment?

Kinda not okay, right? Even in private, but especially in public?

Maybe I should get a better girlfriend, or at least deal with the one I have to see what's not going right and try to fix it?

But MY SISTER? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For that matter...POP QUIZ!

True Or False? - People gonna die because of the Coco, and that's just life, life is tough and innocent people die through unfair menas. Yet life goes on. Too bad about that, but life goes on, can't disrupt the basics structures of society just to keep that from happening.

37 minutes ago, catesta said:

So, in the end, it doesn't really matter what he said.

Dude spoke or tweeted 16,241 false or misleading claims in his first three years in office. Whatever the veracity of his tweet about NYC, he’s a serial liar, and the worst possible person to have “in charge” right now. If he deploys the military to my hometown (about an hour’s drive from where I live)  I’ll be taking to the streets there myself. Seriously. I’ve had it with this march-to-fascism bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Point out to me please where he’s made that distinction. The article I posted indicated that helicopters were used against citizens who were not looting or stealing. In addition, I don’t want the US military used against crimes such as larceny. That is the jurisdiction of local authorities.

When the US military gets involved in that kind of police activity, it’s a very small step to a military takeover.  Of all the people on the forum, I’m probably one of the few who have seen dictatorships firsthand. I lived in Brasil in 1964 when the military overthrew the popularly elected government of Joao Goulart and unleashed a reign of terror.  I also lived in Spain during the reign of Franco and saw how they operated. Lastly, I was a masters candidate in Latin American Studies when Allende was overthrown. Those memories are seared into my being and I think we’re headed down that road. 

Thank you for this invaluable perspective. I naively never expected to see this kind of thing come down in modern-day America.

Edited by ghost of miles

54 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Thank you for this invaluable perspective. I naively never expected to see this kind of thing come down in modern-day America.

Neither did I. This photo is very depressing. I participated in several Vietnam marches between 1969-71 and can’t recall ever seeing anything like this.

2F8AF53A-258E-4DE0-AB28-B8CF638768DE.jpeg

D0F95C34-DFCC-4F1E-90EE-C189EAC9C4DD.jpeg

55 minutes ago, aparxa said:

The last tweet was long-awaited:

"Our goal is not the victory of might, but the vindication of right; not peace at the expense of freedom, but both peace and freedom, here in this hemisphere, and, we hope, around the world. "

Ask not what you can do to your country. Ask what your country will do to you.

5 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

So far the US AG Bill Barr, Sec of Defense Esper, FL representative Gaetz, and AR Senator Cotton have all echoed the president's call to utilize the military against protesting citizens.

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

This is not correct.  Protesting is legal in the US. 

The President is suggesting the use of the Army against criminals.  A few minutes ago, a group in Philadelphia used explosives to blow up an ATM in an attempt to get at its money.  That is not protesting.  That is is criminal activity.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

American criminals are not American citizens?

Do tell!

Jim, I tried to bold Dub's "protesting," but it didn't take.

I do not believe anyone is calling for military force against law-abiding protesters.  The issue is what to do about those people who are engaged in criminal activity.

It is my view, and I can see on Twitter that I am not alone, that those starting fires and throwing bricks are doing so for reasons not related to George Floyd.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Which posts are those? I'm the only moderator on right now and I've deleted nothing.

Here's one that's still here.

Here's another.

and a third.

one more.

and this.

Accusations of thread-tampering are very serious and are not taken lightly (it's not a crime, but..)

Please advise if your claim of your posts being deleted by anybody other than yourself are accurate.

Jim, apparently you and I were posting at the same time.  Two of my posts went missing.  But when I posted about that, they reappeared!  So I immediately deleted that post.

It's all good for me.

By the way, the first was the post in which I quoted Dub referring to protesting citizens.  The other was my next post.

26 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

It is my view, and I can see on Twitter that I am not alone, that those starting fires and throwing bricks are doing so for reasons not related to George Floyd.

Forgive me, but...

DUH!

I mean, who in their right mind is equating or otherwise grouping "the protesters" with "the criminals"...who needs to sort this out to begin with?

This is a complication of perception, not of reality.

4 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

What do you want the city/state or federal governments to do?

Their jobs.

We got rules about how this shit works. Not just rules, but laws, bygod actual laws, with precedents and policies and procedures and all that good shit.

You may not be a criminal if you thing that the rules don't apply to you, but you sure as hell are a criminal - by definition - if you think that the laws don't and proceed to act accordingly. I don't care if you're some self-thinning herd member or the president of the united states, and i don't care what you use to justify your actions if you don't obey the law, you are a criminal. To what extent, that's for the courts to figure out. not the individual.

This is not complicated. Really it's not.

39 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Forgive me, but...

DUH!

I mean, who in their right mind is equating or otherwise grouping "the protesters" with "the criminals"...who needs to sort this out to begin with?

This is a complication of perception, not of reality.

I gather that the talking heads of CNN and MSNBC are.

28 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Their jobs.

Right.  But apparently in some states they are not.  So should the federal govt do nothing?

I was surprised to learn yesterday that the stores looted and destroyed are not covered by insurance.  The typical policy exempts acts of God and riots.

34 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Anderson Cooper, 6/01:  “The president seems to think dominating Black people, dominating peaceful protesters, is law and order. It’s not.”

Anderson Cooper is correct. You should really stop drinking the orange clown's Kool-Aid.

Also, I would have thought you'd be in favour of looting. Imagine what great deals you can find for your bargain audio thread!

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Was the Army deployed in the streets in previous troubles, Watts, Rodney King, ecc.? I am just asking.

Riots after Rodney King verdict

Arson, violence and looting broke out across Los Angeles following the not-guilty verdicts in all but one assault charge in the video-taped police beating of Rodney King. During the violence, 2,000 reserve soldiers were activated. During six days of rioting, more than 60 people were killed and more than 2,000 people were injured.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Riots after Rodney King verdict

Arson, violence and looting broke out across Los Angeles following the not-guilty verdicts in all but one assault charge in the video-taped police beating of Rodney King. During the violence, 2,000 reserve soldiers were activated. During six days of rioting, more than 60 people were killed and more than 2,000 people were injured.

Americans really need to do some boning up on both The Insurrection Act of 1807 and Posse Comitatus Act of 1878. These are the laws in play here. Citizens need to be aware of both the language of these laws as well as their application over the years.

Do your own research, get facts, not opinion-reinforcing blabberchatter. We The People need to have a clear (and clear-headed) understanding of the irrevocable principles of these laws as well as their fur-lined fuzzy grey areas.

There are laws about this shit, ok?