America unleashed

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yeah, that is reasonable - "roughly" covers a lot of ground.

Sure, I get that, but roughly is often used in the same way as approximately absent certainty.

News headlines.....

"Ford recalls roughly 2.5 million vehicles over door latch, brake problems"

Report: Roughly 400,000 U.K. Firms Won’t Say Who Owns Them

Erratic winds push Isom Creek Fire growth to roughly 5,000 acres

MassLive Senior Days: Pittsfield honors roughly 20 spring sports seniors

2 minutes ago, Soulstation1 said:

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29293767/nascar-bans-confederate-flags-racetracks

thanks nascar for doing something that should have been done years and years ago 

The best thing is happening that statues are being taken down in the South; the Robert E. Lee statue is being removed by the City of Richmond. Thank goodness. 

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If the best thing that happens is that statues get taken down, I'm afraid we'll have just changed clothes without taking a bath first.

The best thing in terms of removing symbols of hate. What NASCAR did is good but removing the statues is better. It represents a beginning of removing the symbolism of hate in our country, of honoring people who sought to perpetuate a regime based on slavery and who were traitors to the US. Symbolism is important and removing these symbols is very important.

I see Jefferson Davis came down last night in Richmond.  About time. 

DD6C1EA8-96A6-4391-AF94-2E09A9746ECD.jpeg

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

Someone actually published this?! How did you find it?  Google stupid uses of "roughly"? 

No, I actually just put "roughly" in the search and then clicked the news tab. Seems professional journalists and high school kids both use the word.

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

The best thing in terms of removing symbols of hate.

Oh, I'm all for that, and fully recognize the importance.

But just taking down symbols doesn't change people's hearts and minds, and what they teach their children, and what they do to other people. That part is not that easy.

If we ought to know anything about human nature by now, it's that we love us some superficial change. We can too easily settle for looking right rather than being right.

so yeah, it's the right thing to do, but this is going to be a long, LONG process, and frankly, I wonder/doubt if we'll ever really get there. "Far enough" and "too far"....too often that's what happens.

Besides - anything can be made into a symbol. Where there's a will, there's a symbol. Or will be.

Boogaloo - it's no longer what leads off a Lee Morgan record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movementn

32 minutes ago, Brad said:

The best thing in terms of removing symbols of hate. What NASCAR did is good but removing the statues is better. It represents a beginning of removing the symbolism of hate in our country, of honoring people who sought to perpetuate a regime based on slavery and who were traitors to the US. Symbolism is important and removing these symbols is very important.

I see Jefferson Davis came down last night in Richmond.  About time. 

DD6C1EA8-96A6-4391-AF94-2E09A9746ECD.jpeg

I heard that someone got injured badly when this came down. 

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

They should have waited for the public works department to do it. Let the pros handle it.

otoh, maybe they should have invited some Iraquis in to do the job. Looks like they know how to do this type of thin:

BAGHDAD-IRAQ-WAR-2003-Statues-Saddam-Hus

Didn’t the soldiers help to do that?

Man injured in toppling of Confederate statue in Virginia