America unleashed

1 hour ago, Soulstation1 said:

this is someone’s grandma 

sad and pathetic 

lady even has issues with the young lady’s clothes 

Holy crap, what a mouth on her. I sure hope she doesn’t have grandkids. Talk about trash. 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A background perspective on removal of Confederate statues.

Confederate statues: In 2020, a renewed battle in America’s enduring Civil War

If anyone is interested in reading one of the groundbreaking books on how we view the Civil War, I’d suggest David Blight’s Race and Reunion. It’s the groundbreaking book on historical memory.  Sometimes how we remember an historical event is almost as important as the event itself. David Blight is also the author of the definitive work on Frederick Douglass, another great book. 

51 minutes ago, Soulstation1 said:

Talking to my sister about growing up

our dads mother hated white people 

our moms father hated black people 

never saw saw/met our grandfather

until his funeral 

That must have been very tough on your parents. 

They knew where they stood when she brought our dad to his front door / house 

The door slammed in their face 

Thats even if the door was opened 

My grandfather never talked to his own sister again because she married a Jewish man who was a doctor 

The man took care of her all of his life 

Sad

My mom with me 

The only place to stay was my dads mother place 

she threw her / me out of the house 

I wonder why my sister and I 

no marriages / no children?

lol

Edited by Soulstation1

Since they've passed I've been processing a lot of bullshit that my sister and I have been subjected to since day ONE

my mom Married / divorced 4 times 

ALWAYS picks guys that abuse her and bringing that chaos inside the house 

then when I think we've gotta away from that shit because we moved across the country 

she brings that MFer out to Arizona and beats on her out here

then when she finally gets a descent man and shes mean as fuck to him 

my dad always beating up on women because. His mom beat the shit out of him growning up  and I mean BEAT the shit out of him and his brother 

My dad NEVER paying a penny in child support in his life 

my dad is a loser if you don't man up and pay for your children 

His last girlfriend bailed on him because he beat the shit out of her

The plate that they made in the 1960s will be with me and my sister till we die even with them gone 

Edited by Soulstation1

15 hours ago, Brad said:

Holy crap, what a mouth on her. I sure hope she doesn’t have grandkids. Talk about trash. 

The internet is now saying this woman is 59 y/o Lena Hernandez, a former social worker that may be living on the street.

A family friend who is a Professor at CSU Fullerton says she has had mental problems for years.

I also read that the internet misidentified the woman originally as a Vicky Wible, who has two daughters in Torrance PD. Some people have spoken up to set the record straight, but it's still out there and this is how shit can get real out of hand.

3 hours ago, catesta said:

The internet is now saying this woman is 59 y/o Lena Hernandez, a former social worker that may be living on the street.

A family friend who is a Professor at CSU Fullerton says she has had mental problems for years.

I also read that the internet misidentified the woman originally as a Vicky Wible, who has two daughters in Torrance PD. Some people have spoken up to set the record straight, but it's still out there and this is how shit can get real out of hand.

That's just some careless, wreckless, and pain stooped shit.

I got no problem with calling people out, but it's no different than any other time of "policing" - you damn well better get it right, and don't make a move until you're 1000% certain that you have it 100% right.

Let’s not make more of this Shake Shack story than is necessary. The officers were accidentally poisoned, the Union overreacted, then posted that thankfully that they were fine (which is not in Marshall’s article, by the way). It got some play locally and that’s about it. The story hasn’t even made the New York Times so far.  Over and done. That the Union retweeted Sessions’ tweet is irrelevant. 

Edited by Brad

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Let’s not make more of this Shake Shack story than is necessary. The office were accidentally poisoned, the Union overreacted, then posted that thankfully that they were fine (which is not in Marshall’s article). It got some play locally and that’s about it. Over and done. 

I agree. The cops got sick and bleach or some kind of sanitizer was the cause, there is the story. Marshall overreacted to the overreaction.

31 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I'll just guess that in the looser limits of this particular thread, that TPM is just fine?

Then how about nuking the post above for gross abuse of fair use of copyrighted material???

I really don't need to see anything about Doug Jones and Jeff Sessions in this thread.

2 minutes ago, catesta said:

I agree. The cops got sick and bleach or some kind of sanitizer was the cause, there is the story. Marshall overreacted to the overreaction.

I don't think he overreacted at all, but the question is, do we need to see lengthy verbatim transcripts of his opinions here, on this thread.

A link, along with some independent thought from a poster is always going to be a better way to go, if we're going to go at all.

It's not about who's right or wrong, it's about having the personal discipline to post appropriately within the already looser-than-usual confines of this thread in this forum.

I copied and pasted the article because it was behind a paywall.  I'm a paid subscriber to TPM, so I was able to access it.  Delete it if you wish--or I will, since it's got some folks so out of sorts..  The point is partly, WTF is the NYPD Union doing tweeting about Doug Jones, ffs?  And talk about an overreaction!  Jesus God almighty, look at the crap the NYPD union folks put out about this.  It's just further evidence that cop culture in this country has gone off the deep end.  Here's the link instead, though it gives you only the introductory para.

22 minutes ago, catesta said:

You think what NYPD union tweeted out wasn't an overreaction, perhaps?  You think in the current climate, or ANY climate for that matter, that it's grossly irresponsible?  It's not the first time they've done this kind of crap.  That was part of the point of Marshall's article.

44 minutes ago, Brad said:

Let’s not make more of this Shake Shack story than is necessary. The officers were accidentally poisoned, the Union overreacted, then posted that thankfully that they were fine (which is not in Marshall’s article, by the way). It got some play locally and that’s about it. The story hasn’t even made the New York Times so far.  Over and done. That the Union retweeted Sessions’ tweet is irrelevant. 

Would have been good advice for the NYPD "spokespeople" to heed as well.  Plus this bogus tale has already made its way into the rightwing media ecosphere, Twitterverse, etc.  "So bad out there that food-service employees are trying to off cops!" etc.  

Edited by ghost of miles

7 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I copied and pasted the article because it was behind a paywall.  I'm a paid subscriber to TPM, so I was able to access it.  Delete it if you wish--or I will, since it's got some folks so out of sorts..  The point is partly, WTF is the NYPD Union doing tweeting about Doug Jones, ffs?  And talk about an overreaction!  Jesus God almighty, look at the crap the NYPD union folks put out about this.  It's just further evidence that cop culture in this country has gone off the deep end.  Here's the link instead, though it gives you only the introductory para.

You think what NYPD union tweeted out wasn't an overreaction, perhaps?  You think in the current climate, or ANY climate for that matter, that it's grossly irresponsible?  It's not the first time they've done this kind of crap.  That was part of the point of Marshall's article.

Would have been good advice for the NYPD "spokespeople" to heed as well.

I noted that the Union overreacted and we all agree it was an over reaction. As far as the Union tweeting about Doug Jones, what’s the relevance. I obviously don’t agree with the tweet but as far as the Shakeshack brouhaha goes, I don’t see the point. We all know they’re probably a conservative group. That’s not new news. 

Edited by Brad

Just now, Brad said:

I noted that the Union overreacted. 

I was responding to Catesta in that regard.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I'll just guess that in the looser limits of this particular thread, that TPM is just fine?

Then how about nuking the post above for gross abuse of fair use of copyrighted material???

I rarely, if *ever*, copy and paste an entire article like that.  I did so in this instance because it was behind a paywall, which I know doesn't justify it, even if I am a paid subscriber--but I thought it had important points that are quite relevant to this discussion.  But if we're going to get holier-than-thou about such issues, why is this thread allowed to stand, when it is calling attention to what seems to be a bootleg not authorized by the Davis estate?  

Here's a really nice story about a black inspector who as a precaution called the police to let them know he was going to be out on a site doing some work, and ultimately struck up a friendship with the officer who talked with him.  I'd meant to post it earlier this morning, as a sort of antidote to the general culture of hostility that prevails right now.

One of the best reforms possible would be to eliminate the clout of the union and make it easy to fire someone.   Remove the pension and move to a standard 401K like the rest of us.   Do this across all government.   I bet the rest would fix itself quickly.  Did you know governments budget overtime for police.  That's just crazy and shows poor planning at all levels.  

24 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

But if we're going to get holier-than-thou about such issues, why is this thread allowed to stand, when it is calling attention to what seems to be a bootleg not authorized by the Davis estate?  

Because this label is ostensibly legitimately licensing the radio broadcast itself for the presumably legitimate owners of the same.

That was the story behind their last release, and although I was skeptical, no proof otherwise was or has been offered.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please speak up!

2 minutes ago, Coda said:

One of the best reforms possible would be to eliminate the clout of the union and make it easy to fire someone.   Remove the pension and move to a standard 401K like the rest of us.   Do this across all government.   I bet the rest would fix itself quickly.  Did you know governments budget overtime for police.  That's just crazy and shows poor planning at all levels.  

I'm for unions, still and all. but not stupid unions, not thuggish unions, not fascistic unions.

But that because of stupid, thuggish, and fascistic, not because of unions.

As for 401k vs pension...I wish we all still had pensions. this whole thing about your retirement being held hostage by the whims of the stock market is not something I'm really enjoying at age 64.5, nor was I at age 52.

Then again, in a culture where the "disrupter" gets investors rabidly horny and "growth" is the only consideration of "value", any notions of hoping for predictability and stability are quaint, archaic, even.

11 minutes ago, Coda said:

Did you know governments budget overtime for police.  That's just crazy and shows poor planning at all levels.  

Why would it be crazy to budget overtime for police?  Policing is 24/7 (at least it is now, what it will be after defunding, who knows) but major events from riots to terrorism to presidential visits can't be predicted. Compensation and work conditions is regulated by union negotiated contracts and have to be followed.

Of course cities have to budget some amount for overtime because the only thing that isn't predictable is exactly how much will get used, not that it will happen.

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Because this label is ostensibly legitimately licensing the radio broadcast itself for the presumably legitimate owners of the same.

That was the story behind their last release, and although I was skeptical, no proof otherwise was or has been offered.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please speak up!

OK, much appreciation for the clarification.  It's no big deal to me either way, and I have no evidence to the contrary.  And I don't stay up nights worrying about whether or not the Davis estate is being fairly compensated--much more concerned about supporting living artists, or the estates of artists who didn't leave their families quite as flush as the Davis estate presumably is.  But there seem to be a fair # of titles that fall into a gray area when it comes to copyright/legitimacy and the rules of this board.

Boston MA has an overtime budget of $60 million annual.   Do you really believe this is only used for riots and presidental visits?   I'd agree if the amount was close to the actual amount of unplanned activites but this amount is obscene.  There are currently about 2,000 Boston police.   This equals 30K overtime per person. 

Edited by Coda

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I was responding to Catesta in that regard.

I said Marshall overreacted to the overreaction, and I still think he did. At least they calmed down while he continues on...

"So from what I can tell after I signed off last night all the city police unions claimed that a local shake shack had tried assassinate cops with poisoned shakes. Press ran with it. Don Jr got in on it. And now this morning it turns out the whole thing was fake."

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27324.pdf

Abstract:

This paper provides the first empirical examination of the impact of federal and state "Pattern-or Practice" investigations on crime and policing. For investigations that were not preceded by "viral" incidents of deadly force, investigations, on average, led to a statistically significant reduction in homicides and total crime. In stark contrast, all investigations that were preceded by "viral" incidents of deadly force have led to a large and statistically significant increase in homicides and total crime. We estimate that these investigations caused almost 900 excess homicides and almost 34,000 excess felonies. The leading hypothesis for why these investigations increase homicides and total crime is an abrupt change in the quantity of policing activity. In Chicago, the number of police-civilian interactions decreased by almost 90% in the month after the investigation was announced. In Riverside CA, interactions decreased 54%. In St. Louis, self-initiated police activities declined by 46%. Other theories we test such as changes in community trust or the aggressiveness of consent decrees associated with investigations -- all contradict the data in important ways.

More here:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/harvard-professors-research-defunding-the-police-could-cost-thousands-of-black-lives/

(BTW his empirical study of officer-involved shootings a few years ago found that whites were more likely to be shot, but African-Americans were more likely to be subject to non-lethal force.)

And, it ought not to matter but the Harvard prof is black. I bring that up because last week some lefty journalist simply retweeted the results of someone else's study which verified that in 1968, peaceful protest increased democrat vote share, and violent protest decreased it. The result? He was found to be a racist and summarily fired. But that's really a whole nother post as "cancel" culture has gotten a hold of this situation and taken many, many scalps to date.