America unleashed

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Grains of truth is a stretch for me here though.

Founding fathers attacked - they're long dead, so we're talking about "attacks" on their current mythological context which frames them outside of the reality of their times. 

Religious symbols attacked - absolutely loaded, but similar to the statement above on the Founding Fathers of the US. 

Museums attacked - bizarre, but I think overall the effort here is to build fear over the toppling or re-framing of the core mythical beliefs and how they're presented as fact to uphold the status quo power structure. 

If you don't mind the slippery slope fallacy in her statement(s) and are fearful over statues being damaged and/or removed then you are her audience. 

What is bizarre about the mentioning of museums?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 24.6.2020 at 9:09 PM, Dan Gould said:

Had no idea his background or the fact that Hal is still around. And unfortunately for me at least, his autobiography is in French.

I do own his autobiography ("Jazz Roads") and just checked: He dwells on that race massacre for not much more than 1 page and is not very specific. So I don't think you missed much.
And yes, I was surprised too to learn he still is around - more so because friends from France who knew him well and had sort of befriended him in the 80s were under the impression he had died in the meantime when his name came up 2-3 years ago. Best of health to him in these times.

14 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

She warned Her Stupid Ass 

What the fuck, SS. You think this video of assault and battery is cool, funny or justified? I don't think this kind of thing should be graphically displayed on the forum and have asked Jim to remove it. Or, you could save him the trouble and delete it yourself.

Calling someone a racial epithet doesn’t mean you have the right to beat up the person. The victim of the assault is bringing charges after initially deciding not to (saying the assault was partially her fault). 

A sad state of affairs.

Fighting Over Masks in Public Is the New American Pastime

This harkens back to the discussion we had back in May over the proper balance between rights and responsibilities. Until this country, as a whole, decides that our responsibilities to each other matter more than individual rights, this disease will not be controlled. 

Edited by Brad

27 minutes ago, Brad said:

Until this country, as a whole, decides that our responsibilities to each other matter more than individual rights, this disease will not be controlled. 

I think we’re pretty much fucked. Most places, and at many times the ongoing threat will always be an order of magnitude higher than might have otherwise been necessary.

Going forward, there will always be enough cases that there’s practically no way to keep this virus under control anytime before we get a vaccine. And even then, I just read that something like 30% of people say they won’t get vaccinated - and I don’t know what kind of impact that will have on trying to develop herd immunity.

My father is on semi-lockdown in his retirement community (that’s way more a low-rent situation than it sounds, so don’t conjure up visions of a lavish, gated community - it’s is a nice facility built back in the 80’s, that’s been well maintained, but think utilitarian with lots of TLC, and good maintenance).

I expect he’ll be living out his 93rd year pretty much in solitude (other than meals), which is shame because he’s active and still drives, etc. But I expect him to slow down a LOT over the next 2-3 years, and I hate to see him loose what is probably the best of those 3 years to being on lockdown.

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’m happy to see that politicians of all stripes are now agreeing that people should wear masks.  Wearing a mask not a panacea but it’s important. 

Some variously-striped politicians, yes.  But the big cheese is still sore that the mean Dems done and made mask wearing a personal attack on him.

Then you've STILL got policies like this, that are **STILL** in effect!!! -- which is just utterly fucking insane...

Ricketts tells local governments they won't get federal COVID-19 money if they require masks

LINCOLN — At his regular coronavirus press conferences, Gov. Pete Ricketts makes a point of urging Nebraskans to wear a mask when they go to a store.

But when it comes to the state’s 93 courthouses and other county offices, he doesn’t want local officials to require masks. In fact, he’s told counties that they won’t receive any of the $100 million in federal COVID-19 money if their “customers” are required to wear masks.

https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and_regional/ricketts-tells-local-governments-they-wont-get-federal-covid-19-money-if-they-require-masks/article_d15459b9-26df-527e-9899-9f579a3d8597.html#anchor_item_1

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rand Paul urges Fauci to provide 'more optimism' on coronavirus

"We just need more optimism. There is good news out there, and we’re not getting it," Paul said as Fauci, a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, testified before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.

In May, Paul told Fauci that he should "have a little bit of humility" because he (Fauci) didn't know what was best for the economy.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/505302-rand-paul-urges-fauci-to-provide-more-optimism-on-coronavirus

4 hours ago, sonnymax said:

What the fuck, SS. You think this video of assault and battery is cool, funny or justified? I don't think this kind of thing should be graphically displayed on the forum and have asked Jim to remove it. Or, you could save him the trouble and delete it yourself.

SS1, your removal of the video would be appreciated.

However, once removed, it will still be visible to anybody who wants to see it:: https://www.google.com/search?ei=0bL8XtSlCO-s0PEPuvaWkA0&q=sacramento+karen+got+knocked+out&oq=sacramento+karen+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgEMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAOgYIABAWEB5QyYIBWLSHAWCrogFoAHAAeACAAZoBiAHIBZIBAzAuNZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab#spf=1593619174886

And I'll take this opportunity to plead, implore, neigh, BESEECH everybody in the world to talk to the Karen(s) in your life and show her/them that although getting punched in the face just for being an asshole is never legal, that doesn't mean it won't happen, especially if you double down on it. so, please Karen(s), yeah, you think the world is yours, and a lot of it still is, but, you know, expect pushback(!!!!!!), and then decide what your tolerance level is about that. Because "legal" is only a real thing after something happens, and to the extent that you have control over THAT, hey. Control, Karen, it's what you thrive on, so don't squander an opportunity to control yourself.

and then, please, Karen(s) get the fuck outta here with all that.

Oh yeah, one more thing, for the record - let me state in no uncertain terms, unequivocally and unambiguous - it's not just Black Folk that are sick and tired of your bullshit, Karen. Don't even think that it is.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

...especially if you double down on it.

If I've ever learned anything in this world, it's that doubling down on anything is just asking for trouble - no matter how right you are.

I've doubled-down on a few things here and there over the years (not hardly much in the last 10 years, though). And I'm hesitating to think of any instance at all where doubling-down helped (me) in any way whatsoever -- and in most cases, made things exponentially worse.  Nothing earth shattering, but I see all these videos where two opposing people are determined (or at least one of them), that BY GOD one (or both of them) is GONNA BE RIGHT, come hell or high water.  And that don't never turn out good for anybody, no matter who "wins"

2 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If I've ever learned anything in this world, it's that doubling down on anything is just asking for trouble - no matter how right you are.

I've doubled-down on a few things here and there over the years (not hardly much in the last 10 years, though). And I'm hesitating to think of any instance at all where doubling-down helped (me) in any way whatsoever -- and in most cases, made things exponentially worse.  Nothing earth shattering, but I see all these videos where two opposing people are determined (or at least one of them), that BY GOD one (or both of them) is GONNA BE RIGHT, come hell or high water.  And that don't never turn out good for anybody, no matter who "wins"

Yeah, you know, if you really got right on your side, let it do its job. If it needs your help, it will ask you for it.

• 1 month later...

I see some British politicians and press have gotten their knickers twisted in a bunch because Meghan Markle encouraged people to vote and that those who don’t are “complicit.” They are calling for them to be stripped of their titles, etc., etc.