Jazz For A Sunday Afternoon Vol. 2: The Guitars

bertrand

I came across this on LRC. It claims to have two pieces with Grant Green, but the one called Blues in Green is actually Grant playing Cantaloupe Woman, and the one called Cantaloupe Woman is actually the song Extension by Attila Zoller, presumably played by him (definitely not Grant).

This version of Cantaloupe Woman lasts 7:04 and is not any of the four versions Grant recorded as leader or sideman. So where is it from? 

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

I came across this on LRC. It claims to have two pieces with Grant Green, but the one called Blues in Green is actually Grant playing Cantaloupe Woman, and the one called Cantaloupe Woman is actually the song Extension by Attila Zoller, presumably played by him (definitely not Grant).

This version of Cantaloupe Woman lasts 7:04 and is not any of the four versions Grant recorded as leader or sideman. So where is it from? 

Sounds like this?

https://www.discogs.com/Grant-Green-Kenny-Burrell-Billy-Taylor-Attila-Zoller-I-Giganti-Del-Jazz-Vol-55/master/848134

The Grant Green track is from Newport? Interesting. Is it just the trio I listed because I think I hear a piano.

So how about the rest of this. The recording I mentioned has only one Grant track, the other credited to Grant is Zoller I think (his tune in any case). How does it overlap with what Dan posted? Does the Europa track have two Grant Green tracks or one? The only other overlap seems to be the Kenny Burrell. So how much of this is from Newport? The CD I originally mentioned has a lot of O'Donel Levy. Are those from Newport?

Anything related to LRC/Sonny Lester is always a discographical mess. 

Most of this material was issued on the I Giganti LP cited above. From Lord online:

Grant Green Trio : Billy Taylor (p) Grant Green (g) Gene Taylor (b) Billy Kaye (d)
Live, "Newport Jazz Festival", Freebody Park, Newport, Rhode Island, July 4, 1966
Canteloupe woman    
Note:    "Cantaloupe woman" as "Blues in Green" on most issues.

Billy Taylor (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Gene Taylor (b) Billy Kaye (d)
Live "Newport Jazz Festival", Freebody Park, Newport, RI, July 4, 1966
Blues    

Attila Zoller (g)
Live "Newport Jazz Festival", Newport, Rhode Island, July 4, 1966
Darn that dream    

Don Friedman (p) Attila Zoller (g) Gene Taylor (b) Billy Kaye (d)
Live "Newport Jazz Festival", Newport, Rhode Island, July 4, 1966
Straight no chaser

Hope this helps.

It does help in that it clarifies what the Giganti di Jazz record is, but not the one I found at the Public Library free download site called Jazz for a Sunday afternoon. It seems there is some overlap. Good to see that Lord corrected his discography (I have an older CD-ROM I got from a friends who got a newer version), I knew it could not be 1961. Billy Kaye, not Connie Kay. SMH.

So Giganti has only four tracks, not 5? Two by Zoller, one by Kenny and one by Grant?

The Sunday afternoon record has a Kenny Burrell song called Blues Bag, possibly the same track as Newport. It has Grant doing Canteloupe Woman (labeled Blues In Green). The track labeled Canteloupe Woman is actually the Attila Zoller piece called Extension, presumably played by him. Is this an extra piece from Newport? 

The rest is tunes by O'Donel Levy, Bucky Pizarelli, Jimmy Ponder, Georg Freeman and Charlie Byrd. Could some of these also be from Newport? Who knows.

In any case, I will assume Grant played one song at Newport (not two) and that the version I am about to download is that tune, same as on the Giganti LP. Would love to hear the Giganti track to compare. The timing on the one I am about to grab is 6:03.

What a mess.

Bertrand.

PS: Is the Zoller quartet track really Straight, No Chaser or could it be a mislabeled Extension?

Edited by bertrand

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

So Giganti has only four tracks, not 5? Two by Zoller, one by Kenny and one by Grant?

That's all Lord has listed. I don't have the LP.

Lord does not have the Sunday Afternoon issue you mention. The Zoller track could be mislabeled - I don't have any of these issues.

On 02/06/2020 at 3:05 PM, bertrand said:

Bertrand the GG Cantaloupe Woman is as HGWeber says from Newport 66 Guitar and Trumpet Workshop. Grant, Kenny Burrell and George Benson all did sets, not just one song. There was a review of the workshop in Downbeat which confirms Grant Green, Kenny Burrell and George Benson all did several songs each. Interestingly it appears Wes Montgomery was originally scheduled to be part of this workshop. I assume the whole thing was filmed as there is a full video available on Youtube. The available surviving film has been edited down for TV. But the edited film which was shown and is available on youtube only included one George Benson selection 'Benson's Rider'. No Grant or Kenny beyond Kenny Burrell's presence in the band backing up the Trumpet part of the Workshop. Charlie Byrd also took part in the Guitar workshop and makes up the significant part of the TV edit that was broadcast. I don't know if any of the film or recordings that were made and weren't aired publicly back in the day have survived. The first time I heard these tracks was on an Italian Jazz Guitar box set from the early 80's that included the Grant track LRC keeps in circulation, The Kenny Burrell one referred to upthread and a George Benson version of Ready And Able that doesn't seem to be in circulation anymore but was on the Italian jazz Guitar Vinyl Box.

This is interesting. A review of the Trumpet - Guitar workshop from the Newport Daily News 5th July 1966.

They say Grant Green started the workshop at 1.00pm with '15 minutes of the Blues'... 'a single string interpretation of Cantaloupe Woman'. Interestingly they identify the drummer as 'Newporter Mike De-Luce'.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/468940/1966-newport-jazz-fest-trumpet-workshop/

20 hours ago, robertoart said:

This is interesting. A review of the Trumpet - Guitar workshop from the Newport Daily News 5th July 1966.

They say Grant Green started the workshop at 1.00pm with '15 minutes of the Blues'... 'a single string interpretation of Cantaloupe Woman'. Interestingly they identify the drummer as 'Newporter Mike De-Luce'.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/468940/1966-newport-jazz-fest-trumpet-workshop/

Excellent sleuthing. Contemporaneous reporting is a lot more reliable.