Odean Pope - Out For A Walk (Moers)

JSngry

Was this recorded before, after, during the Almost Like Me session? By whom? Why did it stay unreleased for almost a decade? What's the deal here? The lack of detail makes it seem kinda Shady Grady as far as did they get paid right for this, the band, but I don't know.

That trio..wow.

Don't know the answers, but I love this (Almost Like Me) album!

Regarding shady-grady, I find it odd that "Out for a Walk" reuses the the artwork from the unrelated Pope's Soul Note release "Epitome".

51Fz6t3eEGL.jpg  41QP9aQy04L.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

7 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Almost like me is fantastic; I did not know there was another record   

Yeah, I didn't either until one day last decade it started showing up on the internet, never really for sale, just...there. On Moers. Part of Pope's discography. At first glance, I thought, oh they reissued Almost Like Me with a new title, but looking again, it was link...nope.

I finally found it blogged somewhere, back when that was the thing to do, and it sure is the same band at what appears to be at or about the same time, and definitely playing at the same level.

The record itself might be Shady Grady, but the music is Big City  Bright Lights ON!

According to Lord's discography:

Moers, Germany, August 25, 1982
  Elixir Moers Music (G)01092, 01092 [CD]
  Almost like me            -          -
  Multiphonics            -          -
  Scorpio twins            -          -
  No air            -          -
  Kyle's theme            -          -
  Mwalimu            -          -
  A good question            -          -
Note: All above titles also on DIW (Jap)DIW-1016.

Brooklyn, N.Y., October 11, 1990
  The ponderer Moers Music (G)02072 [CD]
  Neapolitan minor            -
  Saxophone shop (pt 2)            -
  Out for a walk (pt 2)            -
  Zip (pt 2)            -
  Spanish love theme            -
  Zip (pt 3)            -
  Limu            -
  9/4 going 4/4 ways            -
  Philly in three            -
  The garden of happiness            -
  Zip (pt 1)            -

1 hour ago, relyles said:

According to Lord's discography:

Moers, Germany, August 25, 1982
  Elixir Moers Music (G)01092, 01092 [CD]
  Almost like me            -          -
  Multiphonics            -          -
  Scorpio twins            -          -
  No air            -          -
  Kyle's theme            -          -
  Mwalimu            -          -
  A good question            -          -
Note: All above titles also on DIW (Jap)DIW-1016.

Brooklyn, N.Y., October 11, 1990
  The ponderer Moers Music (G)02072 [CD]
  Neapolitan minor            -
  Saxophone shop (pt 2)            -
  Out for a walk (pt 2)            -
  Zip (pt 2)            -
  Spanish love theme            -
  Zip (pt 3)            -
  Limu            -
  9/4 going 4/4 ways            -
  Philly in three            -
  The garden of happiness            -
  Zip (pt 1)            -

I've seen that 1990 date floating around...not sure I can believe it, though...Moers has not had the most stable reputation or history, perhaps?

Does anybody here know Odean?

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I didn't either until one day last decade it started showing up on the internet, never really for sale, just...there. On Moers. Part of Pope's discography. At first glance, I thought, oh they reissued Almost Like Me with a new title, but looking again, it was link...nope.

I finally found it blogged somewhere, back when that was the thing to do, and it sure is the same band at what appears to be at or about the same time, and definitely playing at the same level.

The record itself might be Shady Grady, but the music is Big City  Bright Lights ON!

You don't really need to "search" for it, the CD (or even LP, if you are so inclined) is available directly from the label: https://www.moers-music.com/productscd/odean-pope-trio-out-for-a-walk-cd2072  

Yeah, I know. but there's no recording information on it anywhere, on the website or on the product.(but Out For A Walk on LP? I don't see that?).

I've been tempted to order some of those old LPs from them, but have yet to get a confirmation from another person that it goes well doing that. I sent them an email inquiry a while back and never got a response, so...

Does somebody know Odean, to ask him about this record?

For what it is worth, Pope performed with that same trio at the Moers Jazz Festival in May 1991. I have a copy of the radio broadcast of the performance. With that it does not seem impossible that the trio could have recorded for the label in 1990. 

From the Moers Festival archives:

19 May 1991 / leisure park - circus tent

L’Orchestre National de Jazz (FRA)
Claude Barthelemy (g), Serge Lazarevitch (g), Gerard Pansanel (g), Michel Godard (tba), Luca Bonvini (tb), Yves Favre (tb) Bobby Rangell (reeds), Michael Riessler (reeds), Jean-François Canape (tp), Patrick Fabert (tp), Jean-Louis Matinier (acc), Mico Nissim (p), Renaud Garcia-Fons (b), Jean-Luc Ponthieux (b), Manuel Denizet (dr), Christian Lete (dr)

Ton . Klami (JPN/KOR)
Masahiko Sato (p), Midori Takada (perc), Kang Tae Hwan (reeds)

Clonicos (ESP)
Pelayo Fdz. Arrizabalaga (as, bcl, electr), Markus A. Breuss (tp electr, voc), Antonio Garcia (g, voc, perc), Luis Eseribano (b, cello), Peter Dieterle (dr, perc), Miguel A. Ruiz (electr., tapes)

Odean Pope Trio (USA)
Odean Pope (ts), Gerald Veasley (eb), Cornell Rochester (dr)

Eugene Chadbourne & Daffy Duck Dozen (USA)
Dr. Eugene Chadbourne (g), Ashwin Batish (sitar), Jimmy Carl Black (dr), Evan Johns (g, lap steel), Don Preston (electr), Murray Reams (perc), Brian Ritchie (b), Leslie Ross (bassoon), Jonathan Segel (v, mand), Tony Trischka (bjo), Chris Turner (harp), Bob Wiseman (acc)

Edited by relyles

1 hour ago, relyles said:

For what it is worth, Pope performed with that same trio at the Moers Jazz Festival in May 1991. I have a copy of the radio broadcast of the performance. With that it does not seem impossible that the trio could have recorded for the label in 1990. 

From the Moers Festival archives:

19 May 1991 / leisure park - circus tent

L’Orchestre National de Jazz (FRA)
Claude Barthelemy (g), Serge Lazarevitch (g), Gerard Pansanel (g), Michel Godard (tba), Luca Bonvini (tb), Yves Favre (tb) Bobby Rangell (reeds), Michael Riessler (reeds), Jean-François Canape (tp), Patrick Fabert (tp), Jean-Louis Matinier (acc), Mico Nissim (p), Renaud Garcia-Fons (b), Jean-Luc Ponthieux (b), Manuel Denizet (dr), Christian Lete (dr)

Ton . Klami (JPN/KOR)
Masahiko Sato (p), Midori Takada (perc), Kang Tae Hwan (reeds)

Clonicos (ESP)
Pelayo Fdz. Arrizabalaga (as, bcl, electr), Markus A. Breuss (tp electr, voc), Antonio Garcia (g, voc, perc), Luis Eseribano (b, cello), Peter Dieterle (dr, perc), Miguel A. Ruiz (electr., tapes)

Odean Pope Trio (USA)
Odean Pope (ts), Gerald Veasley (eb), Cornell Rochester (dr)

Eugene Chadbourne & Daffy Duck Dozen (USA)
Dr. Eugene Chadbourne (g), Ashwin Batish (sitar), Jimmy Carl Black (dr), Evan Johns (g, lap steel), Don Preston (electr), Murray Reams (perc), Brian Ritchie (b), Leslie Ross (bassoon), Jonathan Segel (v, mand), Tony Trischka (bjo), Chris Turner (harp), Bob Wiseman (acc)

now THAT'S worth a lot, thank you!

Although...Brooklyn? October? 1990?

But still, a connection exists, now the rest is logistics!