Shorty Rogers - The Fourth Dimension in Sound - WB 1443

This incredible 1962 album is often overlooked in discussions of Shorty Rogers. It is a minor masterpiece of space-age bachelor pad arranging. It is scored for a large ensemble including rhythm, brass, reeds, and strings. The reeds sometimes double on flutes, and vibes are prominently featured within the large rhythm section.

Artists include Buddy Collette, Bud Shank, Paul Horn, Emil Richards, and Shelly Manne.

It is often a sign of a lazy arranger when soloists are allowed to blow for too long. Here, the focus is on ensemble writing, and improvised solos are mercifully restricted to only 8 or 16 bars at a time. 

So do yourself a favor, go to your local Goodwill, and see of you can find a clean copy of this LP for 50 cents or a dollar. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Just started listening on Spotify. Sounds identifiably Rogers, which is a surprise as the blurb led me to expect electronic instruments, etc. But the album's Wikipedia entry tells me the album was aimed as a hi-fi stereo demonstration, which helps explain. Looking forward to hearing the rest, as this one was unknown to me and I'm a huge Rogers fan.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Just started listening on Spotify. Sounds identifiably Rogers, which is a surprise as the blurb led me to expect electronic instruments, etc. But the album's Wikipedia entry tells me the album was aimed as a hi-fi stereo demonstration, which helps explain. Looking forward to hearing the rest, as this one was unknown to me and I'm a huge Rogers fan.

Yes, it was certainly in that space-age hi-fi bag, but it is not a gimmicky record. 

Bill, what are some of your favorites? I like the first 2 RCA albums - self-titled and "Cool and Crazy" - "The Wild One," "Afro-Cuban Influence," and at the holidays, "The Swingin' Nutcracker." And the album I'm discussing here. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yes, it was certainly in that space-age hi-fi bag, but it is not a gimmicky record. 

Bill, what are some of your favorites? I like the first 2 RCA albums - self-titled and "Cool and Crazy" - "The Wild One," "Afro-Cuban Influence," and at the holidays, "The Swingin' Nutcracker." And the album I'm discussing here. 

I guess my favorites are Cool and Crazy, Portrait of Shorty, The Wild One and the Modern Sounds album with the Mulligan session on the other side. I'm also a sucker for just about anything in the Herman and Kenton catalogues that was composed/arranged by Shorty.

I was lucky enough to to see him during a brief renaissance he had over here in the 1980s (his "Blues Express" went to the top of the jazz charts) when he toured with our National Youth Jazz Orchestra. I saw them at the Davenport Theater, Stockport and the show included a beautiful new composition which he called "Davenport" (a name, of course, with great jazz connections), but which I think was never committed to record.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

I guess my favorites are Cool and Crazy, Portrait of Shorty, The Wild One and the Modern Sounds album with the Mulligan session on the other side. I'm also a sucker for just about anything in the Herman and Kenton catalogues that was composed/arranged by Shorty.

I was lucky enough to to see him during a brief renaissance he had over here in the 1980s (his "Blues Express" went to the top of the jazz charts) when he toured with our National Youth Jazz Orchestra. I saw them at the Davenport Theater, Stockport and the show included a beautiful new composition which he called "Davenport" (a name, of course, with great jazz connections), but which I think was never committed to record.

I don't have that Mulligan album, though I have seen it over the years. 

You were lucky to get to see him!

• 5 months later...
On 8.6.2020 at 8:37 PM, BillF said:

Re Shorty Rogers

39948496uy.jpg

39948497qe.jpg

39948499iu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...