Bonnie Pointer R.I.P.

duaneiac

Bonnie Pointer, founding member of the '70s and '80s R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died. She was 69.

The Grammy-winning artist died Monday morning, her sister and former bandmate, Anita, told PEOPLE in a statement. Her cause of death was not specified.

"It is with great sadness that I have to announce to the fans of The Pointer Sisters that my sister, Bonnie died this morning," Anita said. "Our family is devastated, on behalf of my siblings and I and the entire Pointer family, we ask for your prayers at this time."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bonnie-pointer-pointer-sisters-dead-211512238.html

Back when they used to hire bands to play for dancing, we were always able to fill up the floor with The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited".

This went on for ten years, and I started to get tired of playing the song, and while the two lead vocalists were singing the  regular lyrics, I used to sing alternative lyrics to the drummer: "I'm su-i-ci-dal, and I just can't hide it,

I'm about to kill myself, and I think I like it",

RIP, Bonnie.

37 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Back when they used to hire bands to play for dancing, we were always able to fill up the floor with The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited".

This went on for ten years, and I started to get tired of playing the song, and while the two lead vocalists were singing the  regular lyrics, I used to sing alternative lyrics to the drummer: "I'm su-i-ci-dal, and I just can't hide it,

RIP, Bonnie.

Can't blame Bonnie for that one, she was long gone.  Though that's actually my favorite of their later work.   Bonnie's solo career was really a mess apart from "Heaven Must Have Sent You".  Neither she nor the Pointer Sisters were ever the same for me after they split.

19 hours ago, sgcim said:

RIP, Bonnie.

I guess that's the only one I really know, chiefly because it was in the movie Beverly Hills Cop, which I had on VHS as a kid in the 80s and must've watched about 500 times.

26 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I always liked "He's so Shy". I felt like they were singing about me and it made me feel good to know that I was loved! :g

Funny, I have a strong recollection of being in a convenience store with about 4 of my hotter classmates, in their cheerleader outfits, natch. One started singing that song and seemingly glancing over at me.

She was not singing about me.

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R.I.P.

I never was able to say who was who among these four. Saw them perform in 1974, IIRC.  So it was Bonnie singing "Black Coffee"? That's my favourite version of that song, by far.

Yes, it was Bonnie singing that one, and I agree it's also my favorite version of that song.