Happy Birthday Kenny Barron

Hardbopjazz

One of the few live shows I was able to see before the pandemic was Kenny Barron's trio in Michigan.  In addition to being one of the great pianists, he is a gifted original composer and interpreter of standards (particularly Monk tunes).

Happy Birthday, Mr. Barron!

It seems weird to me that Kenny is 77. He was always one of the "younger" of the Jazz greats I saw regularly. I guess that means I'm getting old too. :)

I had tickets to see Kenny in Boston but it got cancelled as the pandemic rolled across the country. It's too bad too, since he was touring in a trio with Dave Holland on bass. I was so looking forward to seeing that.

Kenny has been a fairly regular part of the Kennedy Center schedule, and I make a point to include him on my performance schedule.Shows I have enjoyed include his Concentric Circles quintet, his duo w Dave Holland, and his participation in a Monk centennial celebration (including a fun Monk-stride/one piano duet w Jason Moran).

Happy birthday Mr Barron!