The Bang on a Can Marathon 2020 Continues TODAY!

JSngry

https://marathon2020.bangonacan.org/

Sunday, June 14, 2020 from 3pm - 9pm ET

SCHEDULE

3pm (EST)
RHIANNON GIDDENS

HELENA TULVE Without love atoms would stop spinning (world premiere) performed by ARLEN HLUSKO
AARON GARCIA
disconnect. (world premiere) performed by KEN THOMSON
ALVIN CURRAN Shofar Rags XXL

4pm
TED HEARNE Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job
ŽIBUOKLĖ MARTINAITYTĖ Abyssal Zone (world premiere) performed by ROBERT BLACK
NIK BÄRTSCH
IVA BITTOVÁ

ROSCOE MITCHELL

5pm
PAULA MATTHUSEN of an implacable subtraction performed by DANA JESSEN
TOMEKA REID
Lamenting G.F., A.A., B.T., T.M. (world premiere) performed by VICKY CHOW
NICO MUHLY
SUSANNA HANCOCK
EVERYTHING IN BLOOM (world premiere) performed by NICK PHOTINOS

6pm
DON BYRON
AILIE ROBERTSON
The Bells are All Silent (world premiere) performed by GREGG AUGUST
TIM BRADY
At Sergio’s Request (world premiere)
JUDD GREENSTEIN In Teaching Others We Teach Ourselves performed by NADIA SIROTA

7pm
PAMELA Z
ALEX WEISER
Music from ‘and all the days were purple’ performed by ELIZA BAGG
KENDALL WILLIAMS
Bass and Things (world premiere) performed by DAVID COSSIN
CARLA KIHLSTEDT
New Work (world premiere)

8pm
FREDERIC RZEWSKI Which Side Are You On? performed by CONRAD TAO
LEILA ADU
Black-Crowned Night-Heron (world premiere) performed by MARK STEWART
TERRY RILEY

IVA BITTOVÁ - I need to learn about her.

Roscoe just finished his space. Incredibly visual, incredible sonic. And his soprano made my dog come into the room, stop in place, and do this weirdly quiet multiphonic howl that I've never heard her do before.

Thanks for posting this, I just noticed and tuned in (7:20 PM EDT, toward the end).

I very much liked the little Pamela Z (electronica) I've heard, looking forward to her, the Rzewski piece and Terry Riley.

Edited by T.D.

6 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks for posting this, I just noticed and tuned in (7:20 PM EDT, toward the end).

It might be going a little long, they had an outage that was about 30-40 minutes and picked up the schedule w/o skipping anybody.

That take on the Rzewski piece was intense.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I'd only heard recordings, which were cool, but her stuff live is a completely different experience!

Incorporates the visual of ritual with the science of...science.

Just reinforces my refusal to believe in "magic"...

Hopefully the Big Ears people are taking notes about how to do something like this...

16 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks again for pulling my coat re. this event. Wish I'd caught more of it.

More than happy to do it, you're welcome!

Bang On A Can is very much a "brand" by now, and some of the stuff they bring is sorta same-y to me, style over substance, feeling over content.

But only some. A lot of it is every bit as good as you want it to be. And on occasion, better!

Hey, what good is a brand of you don't have product, right? But their QC is still pretty damn high-level. I have become a fan of sorts the last few years and was delighted to find out about this "festival" in advance, as opposed to the last one, which I didn't find out about until there was, like, 10 minutes left of it.

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hopefully the Big Ears people are taking notes about how to do something like this...

More than happy to do it, you're welcome!

Bang On A Can is very much a "brand" by now, and some of the stuff they bring is sorta same-y to me, style over substance, feeling over content.

But only some. A lot of it is every bit as good as you want it to be. And on occasion, better!

Hey, what good is a brand of you don't have product, right? But their QC is still pretty damn high-level. I have become a fan of sorts the last few years and was delighted to find out about this "festival" in advance, as opposed to the last one, which I didn't find out about until there was, like, 10 minutes left of it.

[Emphasis added above]. I gotta admit that I drifted away from BOAC in recent years for more or less the "same-y" reason, so to speak. But since moving away from NYC area almost 20 years ago I've had to rely on recordings rather than concerts*. I actually found these performances from homes/studios way more compelling than traditional concert venues (and of course recordings).

*Just in the case of Rzewski, for instance, I have great memories of late '90s performances of De Profundis by "Red Fred" himself @ Jazz Gallery and Coming Together by Eighth Blackbird (as best I can recall :blink:) at Miller Theatre.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Another one on August 16th!

I won't miss that one!