Ned Goold

Larry Kart

You know what's really strange... I spent part of the morning trying to remember Goold's name, the deal with his Smalls recordings. That is, he came to mind for some reason (maybe I was just thinking about obscure/weird contemporary tenor players) and I finally tracked down his THE FLOWS on Spotify. What's up with that? 

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

You know what's really strange... I spent part of the morning trying to remember Goold's name, the deal with his Smalls recordings.

Haven't listened to that one for a while, but I recall liking it more than the average record of its ilk. I guess he's got some weird "system" though and can get weird about it, maybe. But I think he swings pretty well, all things considered. I don't find him irritating.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Goold comes up with one of the worst CDs I’ve ever heard. Personnel not given, but I assume the pianist is Sacha Perry.

I'm sorry but you need to be more specific about the reasons for its placement in this pantheon of wretchedness.

In fact I'd love to hear a list of the worst CDs you are aware of ...

Harmonic weirdness per se, even some awkwardness in that sphere isn't necessarily a turnoff for me, but Goold just seems to be trying to force square pegs into round holes. A possible point of contrast might be George Garzone, who certainly has his own harmonic system, but IMO it's one that makes very good sense in itself and also in relation to the harmonic thinking of other uniquely adventurous players, e.g. the late Von Freeman. No less troublesome is that Goold's time seems to be all over the place, especially on this track -- not only Goold's in itself but in terms of his lack of coordination with that of the flailing drummer, who I think may be Goold's brother. As for Sacha Perry, if he is the pianist, he sounds like he might be a disciple of Argonne Thornton, though I believe that Perry, if it is he, was one of Barry Harris' students.

I say this Goold recording is wretched in large part because it obviously is not the result of sheer incompetence but rather clearly the result of a good deal of thought and willed effort on Goold's part -- and his efforts have been hailed in some quarters as an innovative breakthrough. Yes, his system is innovative in, I would say, a rather screwy way, but maybe that's just me. I've certainly never heard anything quite like it. And again, I'm not automatically put off by outre harmonic thinking. I should add that I've heard less outre work from Goold in the past, though none of it has made much sense to me. But this joy ride through "Guys and Dolls" takes the cake.

I think his system is not really relevant to anything other than himself, to be honest. Sounds like mid-50's Sonny played with Harold Land intonation.

I do find his phrasing interesting, but his harmony on this cut is not in the least bit "innovative" or "outre".

14 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

...some guys who hang around Smalls seem to think it is...

yeah, sometimes I think there's a hotbed of musical-intelligence incest going on there. Sometimes.

Like that guy who came on talking about how Wayne Shorter was defective because his voice-leading was deficient. I mean, sorry, but that a sign that those recessive genes are taking hold and mounting an assault.