Keith Tippett (1947-2020)

clifford_thornton

I was once under the impression that he was the son of Michael Tippett, but found out that there was no relation; Keith was born under the name Tippetts, not Tippett.

I wasn't even aware that he had married Julie Driscoll, the beautiful model turned singer with Brian Auger's group, until I did extensive reading on the British jazz scene of the 50s, 60s and 70s. I first became aware of him through his great work with King Crimson on their second album on the tune, "Cat Food", and caught the TOTP performance of it on You Tube. RIP to a great, creative musician.

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

Awesome is the correct word. I've always had a soft spot for "66 shades of lipstick" with Andy Sheppard.

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

Awesome is the correct word. I've always had a soft spot for "66 shades of lipstick" with Andy Sheppard.

That was probably my first real exposure to KT. Purchased for Sheppard bizarrely.

52 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Not forgetting the perhaps unlikely collaborations with Stan Tracey over the years.

I saw them duet at one of Tracey's birthday gigs at the Barbican. Astonishing pairing. I also saw the duet with Bourne which grabbed me less so by some degree.

You Are Here... and Dedicated To You were absolutely pivotal in my conversion to jazz. Alongside Ian Carr, I owe Keith Tippett a huge debt of gratitude for opening my ears. A virtuoso pianist, he never ceased to astound me with the fluency and imagination of his live perfomances. He was taken far, far too early. Rest in peace Keith and thank you.

Keith Tippett.jpg

You are here (2).jpg

Edited by RogerF

Too young & too soon!!!   will dearly miss you Keith

Been playing King Crimson's "In The Wake of Poseidon" - "Cadence & Cascade" with Keith's piano has brought me to tears plus his performance on "Cat Food" is something else

His Mujician FMP trilogy is stellar & his duo with Stan T (Supernova) are both favourites.

Early on I had the Vertigo LP, "Dedicated To You......"

Cat Food.jpg

• 3 years later...