CHOICE Label/Solid-Ultra Vybe Japanese Reissues

Late

Can't find a dedicated list, but if you check here, you'll see a July 8, 2020 reissue date for a number of recordings on the Choice label. Some titles of note:

• Roland Hanna: Sir Elf
• Roland Hanna: Sir Elf + 1
• Joanne Brackeen: Prism
• Joanne Brackeen: Snooze
• Jimmy Giuffre: Music For People, Birds, Butterflies & Mosquitos
• Lee Konitz: Tenorlee

Many of the titles being reissued have been on compact disc before, but aren't easy to find nowadays.

R-14874998-1583254950-3700.jpeg.jpg

• Lenny Popkin: Falling Free

This album has always felt like a small masterpiece to me. Under the Warne influence for sure, but what he does with that influence! — some moves that Warne would never make. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have Eddie Gomez backing him.

And, at 1000¥, pretty affordable.

15 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The Giuffre is possibly my favourite Giuffre, and that's saying something.

+2

R-3749861-1342854080-9230.jpeg.jpg

Giuffre's River Chant

R-2278958-1292874543.jpeg.jpg

is also being reissued. Both are well-recorded albums. They sound like they're from the same session, but Music for People was recorded in December 1972, and River Chant was recorded in April 1975, both with Kiyoshi Tokunaga on bass, and Randy Kaye on drums. Recorded at MacDonald Studio, Sea Cliff, New York. Giuffre plays all the same horns (clarinet, tenor, flute), but adds bass flute on River Chant. The music is hypnotic and serene — highly recommended, particularly if you're a Giuffre enthusiast but haven't heard this particular era of his music.

This is another title being reissued that is excellent and deserving of wider recognition.

R-3724433-1341845313-2403.jpeg.jpg

16 hours ago, romualdo said:

Night Dance (CD 71001) = Music for People, Birds...... (Choice LP 1001)

The Train & The River (CD 71011) = River Chant (Choice LP 1011)

Yes. Importantly noted. (Why did Candid have to retitle already well-titled albums?) It'll be interesting to hear how Solid remasters these. Sometimes they (Solid) tend toward "loud" and compression, but I was recently blown away by the care and tastefulness applied toward the remastering of Manfred Schoof's Distant Thunder. Excellent balance; no ear fatigue (for me; and it's a scorcher!) on that one.

The Candid remaster of Tring-A-Ling is pretty boxed in, to my ears. No life. I especially look forward to the Solid remaster of that title. Brecker, for moments, gets unhinged!