Blakey 1965 - The New Jazz Men - Vinyl Only

Dan Gould

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/83011/art-blakey/and-the-new-jazz-men-live-in-paris-65?mc_cid=34480c1333&mc_eid=65354821cd

AUDIOPHILE GRADING 180 GRAM LP

Limited to 2,000 copies.

A never-before released Art Blakey 1965 live recordings.

First official release with the full permission and cooperation of the Art Blakey Estate & INA (Institut National de l’Audiovisuel).

Available on vinyl only. No CD, No Digital is scheduled.

A truly powerhouse quintet!

Art Blakey, Live in ’65 boasts an exceptional one-hour concert from Paris in 1965. This performance showcases one of the few undocumented Blakey bands, the New Jazzmen, featuring Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Jaki Byard on piano, Reggie Workman on bass, Nathan Davis on sax, and, of course, Blakey on drums.
Freddie Hubbard’s incendiary playing on “Blue Moon” and the blistering 24-minute version of his own “Crisis” shows that he was one of the most innovative trumpeters in jazz history.

On this live session, the audiences seem to have been enthusiastic and appreciative. “Everywhere we’d go people would say, This is the best Jazz Messengers we’ve heard!”, according to Davis. “And because of the way Jaki would play and Reggie would go, it was like a semi-freedom thing – with Messengers heads, you know, but when we got to soloing…! And Blakey was ridin’ and floatin’ the time…but he would always be loose enough to follow, to keep it going. He’s one helluva musician.”

Recorded at Palais de la Mutualité, Paris, France, November 3, 1965.

PERSONNEL:

Freddie Hubbard (Trumpet)
Nathan Davis (Tenor saxophone)
Jacki Byard (Piano)
Reggie Workman (Bass)
Art Blakey (Drums)

TRACKS:

Side A

A1. The Hub (Freddie Hubbard) 16’44
A2. Blue Moon (Rogers/Hart) 7’44

Side B

B1. Crisis (Freddie Hubbard) 24’46

Re-mastered from the original Master Tapes.

and-the-new-jazz-men-live-in-paris-65.jp

3 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

So this is just the audio from the Jazz Icons dvd minus a track?

Please remind me what the missing track is?

This vinyl only trend is stupid. First of all, the sides are too long for a vinyl, I think you lose quality after 16 minutes or so, I was told  Rudy wanted only 12 minutes a side. Second of all, it is missing a tune due to length.

This should have been a CD.

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

This vinyl only trend is stupid. First of all, the sides are too long for a vinyl, I think you lose quality after 16 minutes or so, I was told  Rudy wanted only 12 minutes a side. Second of all, it is missing a tune due to length.

This should have been a CD.

+ 1

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

Please remind me what the missing track is?

"NY Theme" , whatever that is.

https://jazzicons.com/ji4_blakey65.html

8 minutes ago, felser said:

+ 1

"NY Theme" , whatever that is.

https://jazzicons.com/ji4_blakey65.html

+2.  Maybe this will follow a similar trajectory as the Tompkins Square "LP-only" release of Sonny Clark's 1960 trio session.  Initially they said they had no plans to do a CD version, then released it in that format a year later.

I'd love to hear this, but not keen on shelling out that much money for a vinyl version that's missing a track.

What the 'Theme' is could be the topic for a whole other thread.

I will dig out the DVD later, but I assume it is the standard theme that Blakey plays at the end of sets, sometimes with Pee Wee yakking over it. Don Sickler was involved with this series in some capacity, and he is very keen on making sure the title 'NY Theme' is used. It is a Kenny Dorham song, there is a lead sheet at the Library of Congress.

Miles plays his own theme which I guess he wrote. But it is a different piece, I think there is a full version on Prestige.

Lazy record labels have mixed them up for years. Which means Miles has sometimes gotten royalties meant for KD.

It would be great to straighten this out, which records have which. The Miles theme is called 'Go-go' on some records.

Edited by bertrand

The missing track, NY Theme, is only 45 seconds long, so not a great loss, though they could also have easily included it.  Great set, thanks for posting the video!  Some amazing Jazz Messengers lineups during that time which went undocumented on record in that era (say 1965-1972).

As far as the claim to "audiophile grading", I'm not seeing (hearing) it happen with that source material, but still a very worthwhile release.  And I'll grab a CD issue if it comes out in my lifetime.  

Edited by felser

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 16/06/2020 at 6:46 AM, soulpope said:

Thnx again .... Nathan Davis is impressive here ....

I think Sam records has a thing for Nathan Davis - quite a few of their releases have him as leader or sideman

The jazz icons DVD will be enough for me. Don't need it duplicated with vinyl.

I'm hoping they next move on to Eric Dolphy and release authorised editions of his  June 1964 Parisian radio sessions. The sound on the probably unauthorised West Wind edition is nothing like as good as the recent issues (of other material) on Sam. 

On 2020-06-16 at 6:19 PM, bertrand said:

This vinyl only trend is stupid. 

Well, thanks to the vinyl only trend this (and other recordings) are being released at all. If and when vinyl once again falls out of favor, CDs alone will not make many releases of this kind profitable. But on the other hand the vinyl only trend is a result (and not the cause) of CDs falling out of favor, so who knows what will happen. 

13 hours ago, romualdo said:

I think Sam records has a thing for Nathan Davis

I think they have a thing for recordings owned by European/French publishing companies such as French Polydor, etc. If I'm not mistaken all of these albums have that kind of connection. So the owner of that label can license via those channels which is probably close to their backyard. 

Sam's has done CDs. I got the Nathan Davis and Monk sets on CD from them. I can only think that for some reason logistics on getting these releases on CD has some kind of hurdle, be it financial, legal or otherwise. If not, and they just don't like CD, well that's unfortunate. 

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Well, thanks to the vinyl only trend this (and other recordings) are being released at all. If and when vinyl once again falls out of favor, CDs alone will not make many releases of this kind profitable. But on the other hand the vinyl only trend is a result (and not the cause) of CDs falling out of favor, so who knows what will happen. 

Truthfully, if push comes to shove, I have a lot easier a time paying <$10.00 for a lossless DL + PDF on a new release than I do paying $20.00 + for a freaking LP of the same record.

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Truthfully, if push comes to shove, I have a lot easier a time paying <$10.00 for a lossless DL + PDF on a new release than I do paying $20.00 + for a freaking LP of the same record.

Don't forget that plane ticket you have to buy for these LPs as well. $20 + another $20 or so. For one LP. 

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

The price is around $38 in the US. Worth every penny. Some of the best live Blakey I’ve heard. 

But is it really especially better in any significant way, than the DVD (or just enjoying the audio from the DVD)

Plus, isn’t (or at least wasn’t) the basic list price of the DVD a good $10 less than $38?

Just replicating the audio of a DVD on vinyl (I’m assuming the source isn’t especially different, and the source for the LP could well have been digital), really doesn’t do anything except float the boats for those who have a fetish for vinyl.