Blakey 1965 - The New Jazz Men - Vinyl Only

Dan Gould

7 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

or those who have a fetish for vinyl.

I don't have a fetish for vinyl just for music and I don't have a DVD player so this LP is the only way for me to enjoy the music. And enjoy it I do.

I can't get over how agitated people get on this board because some of us make particular choices of formats on which to enjoy music. If you don't enjoy listening on LP that's fine by me but leave those of us that do to enjoy doing so. 

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Truthfully, if push comes to shove, I have a lot easier a time paying <$10.00 for a lossless DL + PDF on a new release than I do paying $20.00 + for a freaking LP of the same record.

You might, but in the overall market, downloads are disappearing. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenblatt/2020/09/14/new-riaa-numbers-show-that-cds-are-all-but-dead-and-downloads-are-on-life-support/

Unfortunately, this type of releases doesn't do well enough on the streaming platforms to make them financially viable.

The trick when vinyls once again fade away will be to package the release (in whatever digital format) with an attractive physical product that provides additional "value" or a sense of luxury. Coffee table books still seem to do well, but the next step? Maybe a complete coffee table? 

danish-coffee-table-by-johannes-andersen

10 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

But is it really especially better in any significant way, than the DVD (or just enjoying the audio from the DVD)

Plus, isn’t (or at least wasn’t) the basic list price of the DVD a good $10 less than $38?

Just replicating the audio of a DVD on vinyl (I’m assuming the source isn’t especially different, and the source for the LP could well have been digital), really doesn’t do anything except float the boats for those who have a fetish for vinyl.

I really don’t know as I don’t have the dvd. You’d have to ask someone who has both. I’m quite happy to have the record in my collection. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I don't have a fetish for vinyl just for music and I don't have a DVD player so this LP is the only way for me to enjoy the music. And enjoy it I do.

I can't get over how agitated people get on this board because some of us make particular choices of formats on which to enjoy music. If you don't enjoy listening on LP that's fine by me but leave those of us that do to enjoy doing so. 

Very well put and I put the post from Rooster Ties in that category. Moreover, we can’t help it if a manufacturer decides to make something only in vinyl. Complain to them not to us. 

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The trick when vinyls once again fade away will be to package the release (in whatever digital format) with an attractive physical product that provides additional "value" or a sense of luxury.

Holograms. They're the whole package.