June Christy Something Cool - Mono and Stereo Re-Record

Teasing the Korean

June Christy's classic Capitol album "Something Cool" was originally recorded in mono.  A few years later, she and Pete Rugolo re-recorded the album in stereo.

I have only had the mono LP and mono CD of this album. 

Is anyone familiar with both versions?  Did Pete Rugolo use the same arrangements for the stereo album, or did he alter them?  Did they generally try to recreate the earlier album, or did they take liberties?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

June Christy's classic Capitol album "Something Cool" was originally recorded in mono.  A few years later, she and Pete Rugolo re-recorded the album in stereo.

I have only had the mono LP and mono CD of this album. 

Is anyone familiar with both versions?  Did Pete Rugolo use the same arrangements for the stereo album, or did he alter them?  Did they generally try to recreate the earlier album, or did they take liberties?

There are people who think the stereo version is sunnier and more wholesome than the mono, negating the almost noir-ish atmosphere of the original.  They think the change is due to Christy's singing approach; I can't speak to whether the arrangements are also intentionally different.  It's interesting to compare the two covers:

R-3160968-1373534364-1191.jpeg.jpgR-4449757-1365199606-1904.jpeg.jpg

They can both be found on this release:

R-5321667-1526093753-2851.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, mjzee said:

There are people who think the stereo version is sunnier and more wholesome than the mono, negating the almost noir-ish atmosphere of the original.  They think the change is due to Christy's singing approach; I can't speak to whether the arrangements are also intentionally different.  It's interesting to compare the two covers:

Thanks.  The CD that I have includes the color (stereo) cover art, but includes the mono album and another dozen stray tracks.  The running order is all messed up also. I had to burn my own version to recreate the 12" album. 

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

There are people who think the stereo version is sunnier and more wholesome than the mono, negating the almost noir-ish atmosphere of the original.  They think the change is due to Christy's singing approach; I can't speak to whether the arrangements are also intentionally different.

Please define "wholesome" in this particular (singing) context. :unsure:

The only (period) context where I can recall "wholesome" being used was when reference was made to 50s singing groups such as the McGuire Sisters and others of that kind (particular white cover girls/girl groups who specialized in whitening up black originals for the WASP consumer market) who (including in Down Beat) were referred to as "wholesome" in their singing and stage (and public?) behavior and image as those who were "suitable for the entire family", clean(ed up), never ever offending anyone through their performances, the perfect "next door daughter-in-law(s)" for conservative mainstreamish middle class suburbians in the 50s US unsettled by lewd R&B and uncouth R'n'R ;) on the airwaves and elsewhere in the media. 

But June Christy? :huh: Not that she was an Anita O'Day who "hung out, drank and swore with the boys" but how would "hip" (which no doubt she was) and any definition even remotely connected to the above use of "wholesome" go together?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

13 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But June Christy? :huh: Not that she was an Anita O'Day who "hung out, drank and swore with the boys" but how would "hip" (which no doubt she was) and any definition even remotely connected to the above use of "wholesome" go together?

Do you remember what Art Pepper had to say about June Christy during their Kenton days together?

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  The CD that I have includes the color (stereo) cover art, but includes the mono album and another dozen stray tracks.  The running order is all messed up also. I had to burn my own version to recreate the 12" album. 

That was yet another version.  It was based on a Japanese release.  The logic behind the running order is it presents the tracks (including non-LP single releases) in chronological order.  Some of the juxtapositions can be jarring, and it certainly ruins the "concept album" quality of the original album.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Please refresh my memory. But having heard about Art Pepper's consumption habits and all things being relative ... ;)

He said that she could drink anyone from the Kenton band under the table.  He described being on the road with Kenton, and after everyone had fallen asleep on the bus after a gig, Art and June would still be drinking. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

16 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

He said that she could drink anyone from the Kenton band under the table.  He described being on the road with Kenton, and after everyone had fallen asleep on the bus after a gig, Art and June would still be drinking. 

Well, I wasn't aware things went THAT far. I just was somewhat taken aback that someone woull describe that reecord as "wholesome" - because, like I said, this seems to have quite different connotations in the context of vocalists on the 50s music scene. I only have the stereo rerecording of Something Cool but now need to give it a play again. (I remember I spun the record not without pleasure after buying it but was a bit disgusted when I later read about the stereo rerecording of the original mono tracks because I've always found this artifical rehashing of recordings in the name of "that new stereo fad" rather pointless)

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

Regardless of the version, "Something Cool" is one of the great "come hither" songs.  Easily my favorite June tune. 

I always thought the intentions of the singer were more ambiguous, perhaps even to herself.  She also struck me as a Blanche DuBois-type.

42 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I always thought the intentions of the singer were more ambiguous, perhaps even to herself.  She also struck me as a Blanche DuBois-type.

Part of the charm of the song is its openness to interpretation.

Edited by Dave James

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

You mean the character in the song, correct?

Correct.  I have no knowledge, or interest, in June Christy the person.

There were a number of other songs with this type of ambiguity.  Two that come to mind: Abbey Lincoln did a Kern/Harbach song called "She Didn't Say Yes."  "Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me."