Scofield/Swallow/Stewart - Swallow Tales

bluesForBartok

Anyone on here check this album yet? I've been listening via the Tidal service - btw much better quality then Spotify - and I gotta say, this record is a nice surprise. I suppose it should come as no surprise that the interplay btw. these three is solid but they're particularly telepathic on these recordings.

A learning moment for me was not being aware that these Swallow tunes seem to lean into standard chord progressions (is "Awful Coffee" on the changes of "All The Things You Are?") quite a bit. 

Scofield seems pretty adventurous on these tunes and to my ears, his lines are some of the most interesting I've heard in a long while. I suppose I started to feel a 'sameness' in some of his releases so dipped out for a few years. On this one, there are nice displays of long Konitz-esque lines with start/end points bleeding over bar lines and punctuating in unexpected places. 

Curious to know your thoughts.

I like the idea of Tidal, but I find their players very buggy. I want to use it though my Amazon Fire Stick and the living room audio system, but it crashes. Had more problems with the Windows App. Playing though Chrome is OK, but I get periodic streaming hiccups. Very frustrating.

Amazon Music is my go-to streaming platform these days.