Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

EKE BBB

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Same here, I pre-ordered.

Me too via Apple - and they released two tracks as a preview but those have been recalled in various places. Maybe they aren’t releasing it digitally? 

edit: found this on the order page that says “PLEASE NOTE: DIGITAL DOWNLOADS ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO CUSTOMERS OUTSIDE THE U.S.” https://shop.theloniousmonkmusic.com/products/palo-alto-digital-album?variant=34655700713623

Edited by BrianB

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well new delivery date per Amazon email is January 5 2021.

Is that for the LP version or both the LP & CD? If it's the LP version, I wonder if this is being affected by the the fire that destroyed the Apollo Masters factory? The Apollo Masters factory was the largest supplier of blank lacquer discs in the world. They were one of only two worldwide LP lacquer plants, the other being MDC, a smaller-scale factory in Japan that has always been booked solid. There is no way they could handle the overflow from that Apollo plant. Now, the LP industry has to wait until someone steps up a fills that void, wait for an opening at MDC or switch over to DMM LP masters, which does not seem to be the preferred way to produce LPs.

4 minutes ago, bresna said:

Is that for the LP version or both the LP & CD? If it's the LP version, I wonder if this is being affected by the the fire that destroyed the Apollo Masters factory? The Apollo Masters factory was the largest supplier of blank lacquer discs in the world. They were one of only two worldwide LP lacquer plants, the other being MDC, a smaller-scale factory in Japan that has always been booked solid. There is no way they could handle the overflow from that Apollo plant. Now, the LP industry has to wait until someone steps up a fills that void, wait for an opening at MDC or switch over to DMM LP masters, which does not seem to be the preferred way to produce LPs.

I only ordered CD. I am guessing just a release date delay though why I have no idea unless pressing plants are not operational in the current situation.  They really pushed it back which is disappointing.

Yeah this is why I originally was wondering what was going on with it and vanished from Apple Music & the iTunes Store. This is only pure speculation on my part but I’m wondering if the custodian who was unknown that recorded this surfaced or at least someone claiming to be him and so they have to work out some sort of legal issues around that before releasing to the public. Even with pushing the date back for release it seemed even stranger that they would pull the first two songs released from the album as well which I already paid for and downloaded. They vanished from my downloads on my devices

4 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Even with pushing the date back for release it seemed even stranger that they would pull the first two songs released from the album as well which I already paid for and downloaded. They vanished from my downloads on my devices

That's pretty scary, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

After waiting 52 years, does a few more months matter?

It will, if it never sees the light of day in the end.

Remember, its over two years now since the Arnett Cobb/Don Wilkerson recording made the news. Is that out yet? Nope. And the contact I had at the Houston paper has stopped updating me - there may be a hope for it to come out on Resonance or the Zev/Cory Weeds label but it appears the family was not ready to follow thru with the release. 

And in fact I just discovered that the single they issued as a download is gone from Amazon. 

So until its out, there's no guarantee.

22 hours ago, mjzee said:

That's pretty scary, isn't it?

Yes, very. I have Apple Music which is pretty much renting music but I also purchase albums I want to own. It’s the equivalent of Apple sneaking into my house and stealing a CD a single and hoping I don’t notice. 

Andrew Gilbert   is reporting on Twitter: “Universal Music announced last night that ‘Palo Alto,’ the album documenting the 1968 Paly High performance by Thelonious Monk's quartet, has been postponed, with no new release date...I'll post more when I get details.”

Confirms what others have noted in real time on this thread, though this suggests some sort of official announcement was made — tho I could be reading that incorrectly and the “announcement” was simply what folks noticed on Amazon.

22 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Andrew Gilbert   is reporting on Twitter: “Universal Music announced last night that ‘Palo Alto,’ the album documenting the 1968 Paly High performance by Thelonious Monk's quartet, has been postponed, with no new release date...I'll post more when I get details.”

Confirms what others have noted in real time on this thread, though this suggests some sort of official announcement was made — tho I could be reading that incorrectly and the “announcement” was simply what folks noticed on Amazon.

See, I knew I wasn’t crazy when the downloads disappeared from my account and I couldn’t search for the album anymore. I don’t know what’s going on but it would be nice if they could be a little bit more transparent about it. We’re at the very least that due to whatever issues the date is being pushed back

I was hoping this was US issue only, and, as late as this morning, Canada's version of Amazon still said the release date was 7/31.  But then I put in the order a couple of hours ago, and the release date had changed to unknown.  I decided I would leave it in the order to qualify for free shipping on some other items, but this doesn't bode well. 

So where's your money? Is it the custodian making legal claims or how about the high school? Does a venue have rights that must be cleared especially if it was recorded using their equipment?

Either way it will suck if this disappears permanently but it's not like we don't have a ton of live recordings from this band.

my best guess is that Monk was still under contract with Columbia and they are now making trouble... Kelley's book mentions that some type of clearance from Columbia was necessary for the 1970 Japanese live recordings... so that would certainly apply here as well ... of course,it's also not hard to figure that out ... so ideally Universal would have settled this early on when preparing this release...

btw, don't know if this has been posted before, there's this website which collects promo material

https://www.uk-promotion.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/

including many pictures for the Monk release and also Robin Kelley's nice liner note essay...

https://www.uk-promotion.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Robin-Kelly-Monk-Palo-Alto-Liner-Notes-Final.pdf

28 minutes ago, Niko said:

my best guess is that Monk was still under contract with Columbia and they are now making trouble... Kelley's book mentions that some type of clearance from Columbia was necessary for the 1970 Japanese live recordings... so that would certainly apply here as well ... of course,it's also not hard to figure that out ... so ideally Universal would have settled this early on when preparing this release...

btw, don't know if this has been posted before, there's this website which collects promo material

https://www.uk-promotion.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/

including many pictures for the Monk release and also Robin Kelley's nice liner note essay...

https://www.uk-promotion.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Robin-Kelly-Monk-Palo-Alto-Liner-Notes-Final.pdf

I didn't think about Columbia because you would expect that their first move was to inquire about whether he was under contract still.