Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

EKE BBB

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know, maybe it's NOT a thing, or maybe they got blessings before releasing, I don't know...just trying to think of what cockblocktactic Sony might be employing,

Or you never know about these things, maybe somebody's got it in for Feldman, one never knows about these things, one never really knows.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Don't know, maybe it's NOT a thing, or maybe they got blessings before releasing, I don't know...just trying to think of what cockblocktactic Sony might be employing,

Or you never know about these things, maybe somebody's got it in for Feldman, one never knows about these things, one never really knows.

Interesting theory about Feldman...

Just saying, you know, lives intertwine, maybe it's a revenge thing about some old girlfriend or shit like that. People don't necessarily lose their pettiness as they accrue their power.

Could be anything, could be nothing. but the record's not coming out now, so somebody's looking to fuck somebody for some reason. That much seem obvious.

This so stupid because (as much as we might wish otherwise) the money to be made on this release does not equal the amount paid to the Sony lawyers working on it.   OTOH it may be a result of the lawyers trying to justify their salaries during the plague. 

16 hours ago, bertrand said:

Interesting theory about Feldman...

In my dealings with him he's been nothing but a stand up guy but the jazz business is so strange, maybe because he's received so many accolades, someone has a thing. I try to steer clear of the BS and focus on just writing about the music I like but I'll start going outside of jazz too.

Just so there's no misunderstanding - I was not implying - and certainly have no grounds to imply - that the issue was actually related to Feldman. It's just that, as CJ says, the jazz business is strange. Hell - life is strange. Just considering the variables between this and other projects involving posthumously released live Monk issues.

You never know - it could be two assholes we know nothing about, never heard of, one at Sony, one at Whoeverthehellthey're called now. One might have burnt the other on a coke deal back in college and there's still bad blood there.  Or it could be some prick who just wants to be an asshole because they can be.

You never know, you really never know. Even if they tell you, you really never know. People lie and people create narratives and just all kinds of shit. Like they say, half of what you see, none of what you hear.

So, you know, somebody grab this shit, leak it out, and then we can all buy it legit if/when it comes out legit. Let the gangstas do what the gangstas do, them and us alike.

In the meanwhile time, y'all enjoy that complete Sonny Rollins Village Gate stuff. It's a motherfucker!

7 hours ago, Mark13 said:

Much as I would love to see this album appear, I do not see any pettiness in the actions of Sony. If UMG did not do its' homework properly they are fully justified to block its' release.

Just a question of dollars and cents. 

For folks in the UK, some CD versions have made their way to HMV stores. I was able to pick one up in HMV Bath today, they had three copies on display. I'm guessing other branches may also have stock but for how long before they are withdrawn is anybody's guess.

I haven't had chance to listen yet.

2 hours ago, 2scoops said:

For folks in the UK, some CD versions have made their way to HMV stores. I was able to pick one up in HMV Bath today, they had three copies on display. I'm guessing other branches may also have stock but for how long before they are withdrawn is anybody's guess.

I haven't had chance to listen yet.

Thanks for that - I’ll do a recce in that very store tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks for that - I’ll do a recce in that very store tomorrow.

My pleasure! I would think there will still be stock available - it was lucky as I am visiting my son for the weekend so called in to see wht was available. Also picked up the new Charles Tolliver CD.

7 minutes ago, 2scoops said:

My pleasure! I would think there will still be stock available - it was lucky as I am visiting my son for the weekend so called in to see wht was available. Also picked up the new Charles Tolliver CD.

Even better - I’ll see if I can grab the new Tolliver too. Cheers ! :):tup

I was in Bath last Saturday too. Very odd to be there when the place isn’t over-run on a Saturday. Unprecedented.

Just giving it a spin - musically it is prime Monk Quartet live and the sound is more than passable considering it was recorded on cassette by the school janitor ! They have done some good sound restoration work on this, with the atmosphere captured nicely.

A nice informative booklet and replica school concert poster completes the package.

The essay mentions some confusion/disagreement between Danny Sher and Jules Colomby over manager fees after the concert so maybe that is impacting the US release? Or maybe not - as most reports state that Columbia/Sony threw the spanner in the works.

Edited by sidewinder