Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

EKE BBB

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably physical copies shipped to shops in advance of proposed release date. Communication of hold on release made to website management quicker than to those shops?

I wouldn't know where my nearest HMV was these days, is there still one in central London? I think I thought they'd all closed until this thread

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Probably physical copies shipped to shops in advance of proposed release date. Communication of hold on release made to website management quicker than to those shops?

I wouldn't know where my nearest HMV was these days, is there still one in central London? I think I thought they'd all closed until this thread

You are probably right - these might have been ‘pending’ in the back room for a while awaiting putting out on Fri 31st. The same thing would have been done with the Charles Tolliver, which I was also surprised to see on display. Having said that, HMV always seem to have good stock of the major Gearbox release.

Too bad that big HMV Oxford St. closed up shop. I thought another branch had opened up nearer to Bond St?

Fopp Covent Garden is probably their main Central London outlet these days - and that place is a shadow of what it was in the 2000s.

Romford in Nth London. Yeah...right..:D

Over the years I’ve found the Bath store to be a useful outlet. They have a half decent rack of CD jazz and their vinyl selection isn’t too bad either. 

Edited by sidewinder

I found a copy today as well. Collectors in The Netherlands may be well-advised to try a Mediamarkt-outlet. I bought mine in Rotterdam but it may have found its way to some of the other branches also. There's one near Amsterdam Central Station - but there are some 50 stores in all.

I just checked their internet-site and it's not available there.

Edited by Mark13

This is starting to remind me a bit of Pete LaRoca's Basra where it was relatively easy to find in the UK (and other parts of Europe), though with that super annoying copyright protection system applied, but it took ages to be reissued in the States.  Even now it doesn't look that easy to track down a clean CD version of it.

42 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

My copy ordered from amazon.co.uk was dispatched today. Seller is Chalkys UK. Didn't cost me more than from my usual German online retailer who still lists December 21, 2020 as release date. Maybe this will become a much sought after rarity ....

I ordered it through Chalkys as well this past Saturday evening.  Email notice at 6:25 this morning that it was being shipped, followed by a second one three hours later saying the release date had been postponed and that I'd be getting a refund.  So I guess I was a little too late to the party... oh well, here's hoping it gets an eventual release.  Thinking that surely there must also be some promo copies in circulation.

500x500.jpg

for me, this episode is the moment where the two remaining major labels finally lost any remaining moral rights to all the tapes they're sitting on... legal entitltements move more slowly than moral ones, for good reasons, but the direction tends to be the same ... we've seen the point of game over