Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

EKE BBB

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My order was cancelled several hours after I'd received a shipping confirmation--not sure how "reputable" that makes 'em. Of course no notification/communication/apology (ordered via aUK).

Regarding majors, Warner is still around, too - but I think they pulled out of jazz entirely? But I tend to agree. What sorry-ass morons ... why the hell did Feldman ever think he ought to work for them? Did they buy his soul? ;) 

--

Correction: *at the same time* I got the shipping notification (triggered automatically by A, I understand - how "reputable" does that merikin deal making make? but we all know about that, right? Gotta buy me some beans now), I also got this:

-
Thank you for your recent order with us for Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto.

Unfortunately the release date of this item has been postponed by the record label and there is currently no new release date.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. Sadly, we have been left with no choice but to reluctantly refund this sale as we are unable to send this item to you for the foreseeable future.
-

So, some communication of sorts ... but they still list the disc on their site. :tdown:tdown:tdown

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

My order was cancelled several hours after I'd received a shipping confirmation--not sure how "reputable" that makes 'em. Of course no notification/communication/apology (ordered via aUK).

Regarding majors, Warner is still around, too - but I think they pulled out of jazz entirely? But I tend to agree. What sorry-ass morons ... why the hell did Feldman ever think he ought to work for them? Did they buy his soul? ;) 

--

Correction: *at the same time* I got the shipping notification (triggered automatically by A, I understand - how "reputable" does that merikin deal making make? but we all know about that, right? Gotta buy me some beans now), I also got this:

-
Thank you for your recent order with us for Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto.

Unfortunately the release date of this item has been postponed by the record label and there is currently no new release date.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. Sadly, we have been left with no choice but to reluctantly refund this sale as we are unable to send this item to you for the foreseeable future.
-

So, some communication of sorts ... but they still list the disc on their site. :tdown:tdown:tdown

I got TWO shipping dispatch notices - one with a tracking number - and yet today I received a cancellation notice. Pretty shoddy.

Has anyone ordered the SHM CD from Japan? I've seen a few Japanese listings but I don't want to waste my time trying to get a refund from a Japanese seller if they do not have these in stock.

Here's my story:

I ordered one copy from Amazon UK on Saturday. Then, after only a couple of minutes, I ordered a second one which I thought I could maybe use in a trade one day. On Monday I got two separate dispatch notices. Then, the night between Monday and Tuesday, I got *one" refund notification from Amaxon:

"We are writing to confirm that we are processing your refund in the amount of £18.73 for your Order [****] from Chalkys UK. 

This amount has been credited to your payment method and will appear when your bank has processed it.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Palo Alto
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0898F5144
Reason for refund: Account adjustment"

No apology of any kind, and still - 12 hours later - no cancelation of the second order. What's more, no money has so far been refunded to my credit card, and both orders are labeled as "Shipped" when I log on to Amazon. 

Edited by Daniel A

I understand the annoyance with receiving a dispatch notice and then a cancellation. However, I’m not sure I understand the annoyance with not receiving an apology from a big company as they’re meaningless. It’s not as if they’re heartfelt; they’re just pro forma. In addition, CDs shouldn’t have been out in commerce anyway so those who received them should consider themselves fortunate.

One thing to remember about Japanese listings is that there are still problems with the Japanese PO sending packages to the US so it may be awhile before you receive it. 

Edited by Brad

This reminds me a bit of the Ornette New Vocabulary fiasco from a few years ago.  How could the album get shelved so close to the scheduled release date if an agreement was in place?  Like with New Vocabulary, I ordered a copy just in case it wouldn't be available, although I am not hopeful that I'll receive it.

22 minutes ago, Brad said:

One thing to remember about Japanese listings is that there are still problems with the Japanese PO sending packages to the US so it may be awhile before you receive it. 

If you really want something from Japan DHL does a three or four day delivery, very impressive. During this pandemic period that has been the way I've gotten discs from Japan. It's more expensive than other choices, but most of those other choices just aren't shipping. . . DHL is quick and the job has gotten done.

Edited by jazzbo

41 minutes ago, Brad said:

I understand the annoyance with receiving a dispatch notice and then a cancellation. However, I’m not sure I understand the annoyance with not receiving an apology from a big company as they’re meaningless.

I totally do not expect an apology, it was just to emphasize that the handling was different from King Ubu's case, where he got a "We are very sorry" message. 

And what does "Account adjustment" mean? Whose account is being adjusted?

For a while I even started to think of this as some ingenious marketing plan, as people rushed to buy an album they would otherwise perhaps not get (that was the case for me, anyway). 🙂 

Edited by Daniel A

57 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

If you really want something from Japan DHL does a three or four day delivery, very impressive. During this pandemic period that has been the way I've gotten discs from Japan. It's more expensive than other choices, but most of those other choices just aren't shipping. . . DHL is quick and the job has gotten done.

I was offered that choice on a couple of CDs I purchased. I think it was $25, which was more than I wanted to pay.  

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I understand the annoyance with receiving a dispatch notice and then a cancellation. However, I’m not sure I understand the annoyance with not receiving an apology from a big company as they’re meaningless. It’s not as if they’re heartfelt; they’re just pro forma. In addition, CDs shouldn’t have been out in commerce anyway so those who received them should consider themselves fortunate.

The problem I have here is that I got a tracking number, not just a dispatch notice. A tracking number should mean that the item is on its way. I've never had an item cancelled and refunded to me after it left the building. Clearly, if I ever find myself ordering from them in the future, I will not trust that an item has shipped when I get a tracking number.

The cynical side of me believes that Chalkys realized that they had some valuable stock sitting on their loading dock so they pulled them off the shipping shelf and cancelled the orders so they can sell them later at a big profit. The more logical side of me thinks that maybe UMI got hold of them and forced them to pull the stuff back. I'll never know what happened but I don't think it was handled well at all. I actually wouldn't have minded a straight-up cancellation compared to the way they handled this.

1 minute ago, bresna said:

The problem I have here is that I got a tracking number, not just a dispatch notice. A tracking number should mean that the item is on its way. I've never had an item cancelled and refunded to me after it left the building. Clearly, if I ever find myself ordering from them in the future, I will not trust that an item has shipped when I get a tracking number.

The cynical side of me believes that Chalkys realized that they had some valuable stock sitting on their loading dock so they pulled them off the shipping shelf and cancelled the orders so they can sell them later at a big profit. The more logical side of me thinks that maybe UMI got hold of them and forced them to pull the stuff back. I'll never know what happened but I don't think it was handled well at all. I actually wouldn't have minded a straight-up cancellation compared to the way they handled this.

Go for the cynical side. 

The cynical side of me thought about money laundering for a quick second this morning ... and now it's considering asking for a refund as the item is still listed as "shipped" and not as "cancelled" and the big company will not be able to double check if I already got a refund or not ;) 

1 hour ago, bresna said:

There is one eBay seller from Japan offering the SHM CD version but their feedback is pretty bad, with several complaints that they accepted orders without any stock to ship. I assume that is the case here too.

Is that ftfym65? If so, that is true. You buy the cd, then they get the cd from the supplier. I’ve used them and had no problems. 

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Here's my story:

I ordered one copy from Amazon UK on Saturday. Then, after only a couple of minutes, I ordered a second one which I thought I could maybe use in a trade one day. On Monday I got two separate dispatch notices. Then, the night between Monday and Tuesday, I got *one" refund notification from Amaxon:

"We are writing to confirm that we are processing your refund in the amount of £18.73 for your Order [****] from Chalkys UK. 

This amount has been credited to your payment method and will appear when your bank has processed it.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Palo Alto
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0898F5144
Reason for refund: Account adjustment"

No apology of any kind, and still - 12 hours later - no cancelation of the second order. What's more, no money has so far been refunded to my credit card, and both orders are labeled as "Shipped" when I log on to Amazon. 

I've now also gotten a refund notification for the other copy. Still no actual refund and both orders still appear as "shipped" on Monday, August 3rd on Amazon. 

Just read a refund notification in my e-mail, my credit was not billed. So let's hope they get it straight. If they care for the music, that is.

Seems that Chalkys started the refund pocess first, as it still is listed as dispatched in my amazon.co.uk account.

Edited by mikeweil