Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

EKE BBB

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

Does it skate under EU copyright laws?

I think that things enter public domain in the EU after a certain period of time has passed since the release date, not the recording date.

What irritates me about this situation is that we've seen archival Monk releases in recent years that have been released without a hitch.  The Carnegie Hall date with Monk came out on Blue Note after Concord had acquired Fantasy (and thus Riverside).  The Olympia date came out on Hyena and Monk was under contract with Columbia at the time it was recorded, like the Palo Alto date. 

Edited by Justin V

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

What irritates me about this situation is that we've seen archival Monk releases in recent years that have been released without a hitch.  The Carnegie Hall date with Monk came out on Blue Note after Concord had acquired Fantasy (and thus Riverside).  The Olympia date came out on Hyena and Monk was under contract with Columbia at the time it was recorded, like the Palo Alto date. 

My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

I think that things enter public domain in the EU after a certain period of time has passed since the release date, not the recording date.

Perhaps there are contractual issues to which we are not privy. 

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

Well, my order fell through as well.  I received this message: "We have been hoping that this disc would become available again soon.  Unfortunately, the record label has just advised us that it has been deleted from their catalogue, and they have no current plans to
remanufacture."

That’s even worse news than before. The likelihood of this ever seeing the light of day is slim. 

It's out there though, and as others have mentioned above there will be those who will find a way to manufacture and distribute this, and no doubt there are those who will distribute it on shared zones. But I hope that a deal will be worked out for an official release. It seems likely--there's already inventory. Someone will make a deal for ready-made product that can be sold.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

From Nate Chinen and Greg Bryant's WBGO United podcast--they talk about the Palo Alto date (though they can't and don't play any music from the canceled release) and Monk in general:

Thelonious Monk: Lost And Found

Which one is Shorty Petterstein?

It's embarrassing (or should be) that they front and back announce "Blue Monk" and then play "Epistrophy".

fwiw, as expected, the end-around digital realm is waiting for no one on this Palo Alto thing. Money is being lost, probably by people who don't care.

Any updates on this album? Or are we going to assume it's lost and gone forever -- or at least for the immediate future? 

I'm really bummed about this --- the two tracks I had were great! 

I've been tempted to see if someone that got ahold of it uploaded it online but I'd rather wait and pay.

I'm not a digital file hunter and gatherer so I welcomed another shot at a silver plated disc version.

27 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

I see that as well, but I am just not sure it actually means what it is supposed to mean.  I'll let someone else take the plunge...

Only rarely has this NOT been the case in my experience with any amazon, and especially I've found it fruitful to order when there is a change from not listed to "In Stock." I took the plunge. There is nothing lost in the venture if it does not ship.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I'm not a digital file hunter and gatherer so I welcomed another shot at a silver plated disc version.

Only rarely has this NOT been the case in my experience with any amazon, and especially I've found it fruitful to order when there is a change from not listed to "In Stock." I took the plunge. There is nothing lost in the venture if it does not ship.

I ordered one too. We'll see if this one "ships" as in really ships and not just give me a shipping notice. :)