Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

EKE BBB

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Got my Amazon UK shipping notice as well. It’ll take several weeks to get here... excited to hear it (and to read the booklet with Robin D.G. Kelley’s notes).

if it's just about that essay, you can also read it here ;)

https://www.uk-promotion.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Robin-Kelly-Monk-Palo-Alto-Liner-Notes-Final.pdf

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

I keep checking Amazon here in the US but it still says that the product is unavailable. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed to not be able to get an album before! I hope whatever resolution appears to have been reached for the UK is also resolved in the US soon!  

As noted earlier in this thread, this recording is technically in the public domain in the UK, which may be the only reason it's available there right now. I wouldn't wait for the US copyright to run out in 2057. I doubt I'll live to see that calendar date and even if I am still around, I doubt that this Monk release will matter a whole lot to me. :)

Edited by bresna

Pulled mine from the mailbox after work and immediately tossed it into the player. I never heard that edition of Monk's quartet play livelier. Great to have this on CD. I sincerely hope all of you who want it will get a copy. 

A question to those who already have it: To my ears the bass is a bit too loud in the mix, and the piano too low. Is it just me?

44 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Seems to be the case? Amazon US now has it listed for a Sept. 18 release date:

Thelonious Monk Palo Alto

Good news. Wondering about the status of my pre-order with Amazon. It still shows in my orders list and with the September 18 release date. Since it cancelled/was reinstated will they send an email before the 18th about the delivery status? I don't want two copies but I want to make sure I get this if its truly set for release.