LF- Chick Corea Complete Is Sessions

27 minutes ago, bresna said:

There are a couple of copies for $24 on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2173500?ev=rb

Unfortunately the first copy is “Disk one only!!” (and from Australia) - and the second copy is from Norway (heaven knows what the shipping charge would be like).

I wouldn’t pay $24 for an incomplete set, but I will say I find the first disc the probably far more interesting of the two, fwiw. A good document of some of Bennie Maupin’s most amazing tenor-work of his entire career.

That said, a “Disk one only!!” version would still be worth $10 in my book, could such an animal ever be found.

Wish I had a duplicate copy I could share.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It is...except when it's not, and then it's annoying as fuck! :g

To me, it's still interesting, even when it's reasonably unlistenable (which it is in places).  That's why I chose "interesting" rather than "good".  Some of it is very good.   I find that dichotamy with much of Corea's work from that period (ARC, Circle, etc.).  He was trying too hard to be profound or whatever.   Sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't.

I think he was just too damn high sometimes. And thought that all he had to do was to be there. Jazz Hippie-ness.

That Scientology shit got him outta that one! :g

But seriously, he got better at free playing the more he got into it, and especially once there began to be some structural considerations going into the thought process, which kinda became a quantum consideration once they got Braxton on board.

But this stuff, yeah, it's interesting, but sometimes there's just no "there" there, and, you know, it's your record and you just show up and then...it got better than this, a lot better than this. At it's best, it sounds like Chick's trying to catch up to where Miles' band had left off, before he got on the gig, but with not the right players for that concept (because, really, how many in the world were there then?). At it's worst, it sounds like nobody really knows where the fuck they're going, so...make noise and make energy until SOMETHING happens...that can be how free improvisation works, but ideally....no.

Let me put it this way - my copy is not for sale, but I'll let my kids know that there's a market. They'll be delighted, or at least outwardly skeptical!