The Short and Curious Life of Wade Legge

Anybody seriously interested in the "Swing to Bop" transitional years (including the seminal live recordings caught on wire by Jerry Newman and essential in this context) will at least have heard of Allen "Pee Wee" Tinney. ;)

Pee Wee actually was his brother but that's how Allen appeared on some lineups. At any rate, Allen Tinney does have a Wikipedia entry, and his presence in the Jive Bombers vocal group of the 50s did bring him into the studios with Kenny Burrell and Leonard Gaskin.

And those who happened to see the Cry Baby movie feat. Johnny Depp will have heard Allen Tinney supplyng backing vocals and playing piano in the Jive Bombers' hit "Bad Boy".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I bought an Al Tinney CD, co-led by his girlfriend, vocalist Peggy Farrell, years ago after a pre-concert talk about him in Buffalo.  The presentation featured snippets of his music as well, which may have been unreleased.  Here is a link to an article about the couple around the time of the album's release.  The article refers to another album they did together in the '80s.

Regarding Wade Legge, I enjoy what little I've heard of him but have never heard his work as a leader.  I haven't listened closely enough to the piano on the excellent Shafi Hadi session (speaking of relatively obscure, impressive Mingus sidemen!) to even hazard a guess at whether it is Wynton Kelly or Legge.  It is a shame that the recording details are so hazy.

Edited by Justin V