So, Jay Rosen?

JSngry

So...going through a big pile of indeterminate age of all sorts of things, and so many of them appear to have Jay Rosen on drums.

So far, I like how he plays on all of these records.

Do you like the way he plays on those records (whatever they are, I can't be bothered to list them all right now), or on other records that he's on?

Please talk about Jay Rosen here. Hopefully many people like his playing!

I can't say that I have ever specifically noticed Rosen, but he is in groups and on recordings that I do enjoy. For me that is the case with most drummers - they get subsumed within the overall sound of the music. So if I am enjoying the overall flow/feeling of the music I give the drummer credit for contributing to that feeling. With that said, I have heard Rosen on recordings with Trio X (with Joe McPhee and Dominic Duval) which I really enjoy, live with Trio XL and even caught him live leading a group that included Perry Robinson and Michael Marcus. I have heard him on recordings in a couple of other contexts, but those are the encunters that standout for me.

He was practically a house drummer on a lot of CIMP recordings.

I certainly like his playing -- of course in Trio X with Joe McPhee and the dearly departed Dominic Duval, as well as with Cosmosamatics. There is a fine drum duo CD he made a couple of years ago (?) with Brian Willson, released by NotTwo. My limited personal experience with him: fine player, kind man.