Chet Baker at a peak, and (down below) Junior Cook likewise

Larry Kart

One of Chet Balker's very best, "Oh You Crazy Moon" (Enja), from 1978, a 62- minute concert recordings wirh Phil Markowitz, Scott Lee, and Jeff Brillinger.  Beautifully integrated group. Baker is inspired (some really inventive scat singing), and Markowitz's skills as an accompaniment border on mind reading, nor are his solos less than worthy of attention. I caught him with Chet in Chicago at about this time and was similarly impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.6.2020 at 11:34 PM, felser said:

The recording that is magic for me is the Onkel Po's set, which features Markowitz playing beautifully and is from the 1978-1979 tour.  Something in that hall brought out some amazing performances.

Buy Chet Baker - At Onkel PÖ's Carnegie Hall Hamburg 1979 - (Vinyl ...

This is also one of my favourites. Beautiful Music, really Long tracks

The Junior Cook CDs are both very good. The 3rd one on Steeplechase with Valery Ponomov on trumpet is also worth hearing.

Not sure why, but never was able to relate to the playing of pianist Phil Markowitz. The Chet Baker albums from that same time period that I much prefer are the three trio dates with Doug Raney, and the quartet session with Duke Jordan. All four of these albums are on Steeplechase. 

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The Junior Cook CDs are both very good. The 3rd one on Steeplechase with Valery Ponomov on trumpet is also worth hearing.

Not sure why, but never was able to relate to the playing of pianist Phil Markowitz. The Chet Baker albums from that same time period that I much prefer are the three trio dates with Doug Raney, and the quartet session with Duke Jordan. All four of these albums are on Steeplechase. 

It took me some time to dig the playing of Pianist Phil Markowitz, it´s a very subtile Kind of playing, but it really fits and after some times of Hearing him together with Chet I think it fits. 

The Dates for Steeple Chase are also Wonderful, "Daybreak" for example, and of Course "No Problem" with Duke Jordan....., Chet really recorded very much during that time. He seemed to enjoy to work in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

This motivated me to purchase a few Junior Cook CDs. Although I have heard him on Horace Silver recordings, dates he coled with Louis Hayes and miscellaneous other items, I did not own any of his recordings as a leader. Spent the afternoon listening to Senior Cookin' (twofer including Good Cookin' and Somethin's Cookin') and now On A Misty Night. I also picked up The Place To Be. Enjoying what I have heard so far and even investigated other items in Cook's discography that I can fill some holes in my collection/listening with.

Edited by relyles

On 26/06/2020 at 7:17 AM, Gheorghe said:

1978 was a very good year for Chet Baker.

Yes, that's very true. Also the year of Broken Wing and Live at Nick's, where I think he's with the same personnell mentioned in the initial post. In Broken Wing I think it's with a French bass player. But the rest are the same: Markowitz and Brillinger.