Ray Crawford

medjuck

I really like Ray Crawford on Katanga, Out of the Cool and the record he did as a leader on Candid.  Are there other recordings that feature him besides  the ones with Ahmad Jamal?  (Just listening to the Jamal Quintet record which I don't find very interesting and on which Crawford doesn't get much solo space.) 

44 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Sonny Criss' Crisscraft is recommended. 

I seem to recall that Crawford gets more space on Jamal's Chamber Music of the New Jazz, which is my go-to Jamal album.  Crisscraft is excellent and has an underrated band (Crawford, Dolo Coker, Larry Gales and Jimmie Smith).  Criss is in top form.  Be advised that the 1991 Muse reissue has two tracks that were inexplicably left off of the two later Savoy reissues.  It is worth tracking down.

Looks like he's also on a Lou Rawls set called Black and Blue and Tobacco Road which I haven't heard but am intrigued by. 

1 minute ago, Justin V said:

Be advised that the 1991 Muse reissue has two tracks that were inexplicably left off of the two later Savoy reissues.  It is worth tracking down.

Just noticed this. My copy is the 32 Jazz CD which doesn't have the bonus tracks. 

12 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

He's on two albums by Gil Evans on Pacific Jazz and Impulse (Out of the Cool) and gets at least one nice solo on each. 

Yes he takes great solos on La Nevada on both Great Jazz Standards and Out of the Cool (though he only plays on 4 cuts of the former). 

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

I seem to recall that Crawford gets more space on Jamal's Chamber Music of the New Jazz, which is my go-to Jamal album.  Crisscraft is excellent and has an underrated band (Crawford, Dolo Coker, Larry Gales and Jimmie Smith).  Criss is in top form.  Be advised that the 1991 Muse reissue has two tracks that were inexplicably left off of the two later Savoy reissues.  It is worth tracking down.

What are the two missing cuts?

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Ray recorded 2 lps for Dobre in the late '70s. Both are quartet dates with Ronnell Bright and Donald Dean. Herbie Lewis plays bass on one and Henry Franklin on the other.

They are available as "manufactured cdrs" on Amazon

Well since  they're cdrs you might as well get them as downloads which I just did.