RIP Johnny Mandel

Hardbopjazz

What a melodic gift he had, Emily, A Time For Love, The Shadow of Your Smile, just those three would make him qualified to be one of the greatest songwriters of the last half of the 20th Century. RIP, Johnny.

In connection with MASH's theme song, the name Ian Freebairn- Smith came up a lot. It turned out that he was one of the vocalists on the original version of the theme, and also a composer/arranger in Hollywood that also did some Hi-Los, and Four Freshman arrangements, and led a similar type of group called The Singers Inc.

I don't know how many albums I have with his arrangements, but 'Emily' is such a pretty tune and 'Suicide Is Painless' is one of the great TV themes.  His arrangements on Shirley Horn's You're My Thrill are stunning.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Mandel, and rest in peace.

41 minutes ago, DMP said:

I don’t think Frank Sinatra made a more swinging album than “Ring-a-Ding Ding.”

It is an incredible album, especially if you have the mono version.  I wish Frank would have done more with Johnny, but then, we might not have gotten Harper, The Sandpiper, or The Americanization of Emily

10 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I consider "I Want To Live" to be the greatest jazz score ever. 

RIP.

Today is Susan Hayward's birthday (1917).

Back in in '98, my nephew went to a Diana Krall concert in Los Angeles.  A man sat down beside him, offered his hand, and said, "Hi!  I'm Johnny Mandel."

So my nephew called me the next day, and said, "Uncle Russ, have you ever heard of someone named Johnny Mandel?"

I said, "Tom, I would rather meet Johnny Mandel than Diana Krall!"

RIP.

57 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Today is Susan Hayward's birthday (1917).

Back in in '98, my nephew went to a Diana Krall concert in Los Angeles.  A man sat down beside him, offered his hand, and said, "Hi!  I'm Johnny Mandel."

So my nephew called me the next day, and said, "Uncle Russ, have you ever heard of someone named Johnny Mandel?"

I said, "Tom, I would rather meet Johnny Mandel than Diana Krall!"

RIP.

Crazy!

14 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

YES!  Both album combined on a single CD by Rykodisc!

Many thanks!

On 6/30/2020 at 0:43 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

Another one of his tunes that I really enjoyed, especially the cover done by Jimmy Smith, “Suicide is Painless”, the theme from MASH.  

Amazing performance indeed. What a band. And George Benson plays as God.

519BRQNMVJL.jpg