Duke's Jazz Violin Session: Alternates and False Starts?

Justin V

I recently bought the Reprise Mosaic and have been enjoying this album immensely.  The Mosaic notes refer to there being a release on the Swedish Azure label with false starts and alternates, but I can't find any information on it.  can anyone shed amy light on this? I'd be interested in hearing alternate takes and false starts on CD.

The 'Azure' label was a series of cassettes produced privately by the Duke Ellington Music Society and impossible to come by nowadays, I think. The Jazz Violin Sessions have been released by La Maison du Duke in France. That release is likely still available to members of La Maison. The details are here:

http://www.maison-du-duke.com/c7j8vr2v58/fichiers/CD_Fiche_MDD008.pdf

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

I recently bought the Reprise Mosaic and have been enjoying this album immensely.  The Mosaic notes refer to there being a release on the Swedish Azure label with false starts and alternates, but I can't find any information on it.  can anyone shed amy light on this? I'd be interested in hearing alternate takes and false starts on CD.

I have a bunch of the Azure Tapes that were done by Sjef Hoefsmit.  Let me check if i have that one.

It is posted as available to download on this website, though I don't know that it is worth the risk, it looks like it could be a fishing expedition for your data...

https://avaxhome.unblocker.xyz/music/duke_ellington_jazz_violin_session_MDD008_2016_flac.html

I checked out the French website but it is frustrating because when you convert a page to English then go to the page to join and click on English, it reverts back to the list of recordings in French. I guess they aren't wanting U.S. members...

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

It is posted as available to download on this website, though I don't know that it is worth the risk, it looks like it could be a fishing expedition for your data...

https://avaxhome.unblocker.xyz/music/duke_ellington_jazz_violin_session_MDD008_2016_flac.html

I checked out the French website but it is frustrating because when you convert a page to English then go to the page to join and click on English, it reverts back to the list of recordings in French. I guess they aren't wanting U.S. members...

My daughter lives and works in France, and I've been there many times. I love the country...but...I think that, per capita, it may have the most infuriating websites on the planet!

gregmo

10 hours ago, gmonahan said:

My daughter lives and works in France, and I've been there many times. I love the country...but...I think that, per capita, it may have the most infuriating websites on the planet!

I cannot find any particularly and typically French drawbacks and snags of average websites from France. And I've seen and bookmarked many, following my interests and my contacts there.

If you refer to the linguistic aspect of it - I think the reason is a different one. On average, they tend to take French (and knowledge of same ^_^) as much for granted as US Americans and British tend to take universal knowledge of English for granted everywhere else around the globe. And they are not ashamed of being able to speak only their very own mother language and no other one (like - again - many, many U.S. and British people). And this is reflected in many ways and walks of everyday life. So just put it down to an ongoing "battle" between the English (only) and French (only) speaking worlds as to which is (and is supposed to be) the real lingua franca. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 7/2/2020 at 1:38 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

I cannot find any particularly and typically French drawbacks and snags of average websites from France. And I've seen and bookmarked many, following my interests and my contacts there.

If you refer to the linguistic aspect of it - I think the reason is a different one. On average, they tend to take French (and knowledge of same ^_^) as much for granted as US Americans and British tend to take universal knowledge of English for granted everywhere else around the globe. And they are not ashamed of being able to speak only their very own mother language and no other one (like - again - many, many U.S. and British people). And this is reflected in many ways and walks of everyday life. So just put it down to an ongoing "battle" between the English (only) and French (only) speaking worlds as to which is (and is supposed to be) the real lingua franca. ;)

Hi Steve! The sites I was referencing are the "official" government ones. I imagine private/commercial ones are fine. My daughter once had to tangle with government sites trying to get a visa renewed. Downright Orwellian--and she's fluent in French! Like I said, I love the country and the language and the people--have lived there a few times--but French bureaucracy definitely has its own...er...character!!

gregmo