Mosaic boxes on mp3

I know we've discussed this topic previously, but couldn't find a dedicated thread.  There have been Mosaic boxes reissued under "Capitol Vault Series" on both iTunes and Amazon, but I haven't seen new issues in awhile.  I found some titles on Presto Jazz that I've never seen before; note that Presto also offers these as FLAC:

Oscar Peterson Trio - The Complete Mercury/Clef Recordings

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz

Roy Eldridge - The Complete Verve Studio Sessions

The Complete Anita O'Day Verve-Clef Sessions

There's a few tracks from the Anita O'Day I don't have, so I thought the download might be a cheaper alternative. That complete set in flac from zdigital (Australian 7digital) is a mere $592! Naturally, at that price no digital booklet included :P

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/anita-oday/release/the-complete-anita-oday-verve-clef-sessions-10659314?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

Edited by Marzz

As far as I can tell, the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band Mosaic is still available on Spotify but not for purchase as a download anymore.  My library has a streaming service called Hoopla that has Verve and Capitol Vaults titles but not the Mulligan set.  Weird.  I only recently bought the set and one of the reasons I procrastinated was because of its availability as a download.

9 minutes ago, Justin V said:

As far as I can tell, the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band Mosaic is still available on Spotify but not for purchase as a download anymore.  My library has a streaming service called Hoopla that has Verve and Capitol Vaults titles but not the Mulligan set.  Weird.  I only recently bought the set and one of the reasons I procrastinated was because of its availability as a download.

I guess that doesn't happen often, where a release is removed from download and only offered via streaming? Is it a semi-regular occurrence on other streaming platforms other than Spotify? 

Elvin Jones, Bobby Hutcherson, Hank Mobley and Andrew Hill all on Spotify in the UK.

In addition to the above 'Capitol Jazz Vault' on Tidal for Bobby Hackett, Joe Pass, Don Pullen, Paul Chambers, Bob Brookmeyer, Bennie Green, John Patton, Dizzy Reece, Dexter Gordon, Krupa/Harry James 

Does it bother anyone that this stuff is being released for streaming or available for lossless download purchase for so much less money?  I think it's great that the music continues to be available, but it does make me at least think twice about the value of the box set purchase if the set is likely to be made generally available.  Of course, there is the presentation, desire to support the cause, etc., but I'm sure some people buy the sets because some of the music is out of print and they are limited editions and then suddenly it's not so limited anymore.  

•  
Edited by LJazz

On 7/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, Justin V said:

I did not know about Hoopla.  I checked it out today.  Hoopla has a wealth of material available.  All of the "Capitol Vault Series" (Mosaic and Mosaic Selects), the Clef/Verve Basie Mosaic,the Riverside Monk box, a lot of other box sets, and many new releases. I am not subscribed to a streaming service, but I am already paying for Hoopla through taxes so I might as well use it.

23 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Mosaic leases and the owner can do what they wish with the material, even I believe Mosaic's mastering. It doesn't really bother me, I get the Mosaic as that is what I would want and I'm glad the music is available for others.

This ^^ I've been buying Mosaics for about twenty years. I reckon I have most of them. I missed out/passed on a few and I'm glad I can now get some of them at a lower price. The Mosaic model worked under the old system, I enjoyed these sets while I had them and I'm glad others can now access some of this music for less money ( I didn't buy them as an investment).

The only issue would be if the absense of the old model of scarcity/rarity would mean that the Mosaic level of quality would dip or disappear; perhaps for material owned by the major labels it will, but I couldn't say -- or see -- why. OTOH streaming/downloads offers the potential for freeing up the archives as never before. I'm optimistic so I lean to the latter view.

Edited by crisp

43 minutes ago, crisp said:

This ^^ I've been buying Mosaics for about twenty years. I reckon I have most of them. I missed out/passed on a few and I'm glad I can now get some of them at a lower price. The Mosaic model worked under the old system, I enjoyed these sets while I had them and I'm glad others can now access some of this music for less money ( I didn't buy them as an investment).

I don't purchase Mosaics for investment either, although I admit that in the past I would have been more likely to pick something up I was just curious about figuring that if I didn't like it I could always resell it and get my money back.   

22 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I believe Mosaic is being robbed

I agree.  Aside from the lack of reimbursement for their efforts, I wonder how many fewer sets they sell as a result. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Probably 0? These sets that are being offered are no longer available from Mosaic, they're long gone.

This is true.  I was just wondering if some people might be put off thinking that the material is likely(?) to be made available down the road, if not available currently.  For example, someone has put together a playlist on Spotify in track order of all of the 63-70 Mobley set, excluding the few alternate takes.  

Good point LJazz, but there are still lots of Mosaic sets unavailable as download. I'm still buying the ones that come out just in case it's my only chance*.

*Except the Mobley. I honestly couldn't see the point of that set and that Spotify playlist bears me out. 

1 hour ago, crisp said:

Good point LJazz, but there are still lots of Mosaic sets unavailable as download. I'm still buying the ones that come out just in case it's my only chance*.

*Except the Mobley. I honestly couldn't see the point of that set and that Spotify playlist bears me out. 

The Mobley is in better sound than any previous CD issue I’ve heard of the material. Malcolm Addey did his usual magic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4-7-2020 at 2:09 AM, medjuck said:

I suggested to Scott that they should make the Benedetti Bird collection available on-line, but he replied that it would be difficult to clear the rights.  

Strange because this was IIRC the only set they owned outright and would be available as long as Mosaic would excist.