Wilbur Harden Savoy 45

JSngry

45`s are almost always neglected or omitted in jazz discographies - Lord doesn't list this one. My experience is one must be careful and listen and compare: sometimes the 45 have simply edited or faded out versions, but there are many with an entirely different take of a shortened arrangement. 

You are making me curious. What is your source for these pics?

Michel Ruppli's Savoy discography lists this 45 (though surprisingly, the 45 release no. appears only for the Happy Tune track but not for the Dreamed track listed immediately afterwards. They must have forgotten the hyphen to indicate the 45 no. applies there too). But as no matrix numbers are given for this session you cannot tell if these actually are the same takes or if different takes were used for the 45 release.

21 hours ago, mjzee said:

Stereo 45s?  Interesting.

Pretty much a staple by the early 70s, but they were alive before then! https://www.bsnpubs.com/stereoproject/stereo45s.html

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Michel Ruppli's Savoy discography lists this 45 (though surprisingly, the 45 release no. appears only for the Happy Tune track but not for the Dreamed track listed immediately afterwards. They must have forgotten the hyphen to indicate the 45 no. applies there too). But as no matrix numbers are given for this session you cannot tell if these actually are the same takes or if different takes were used for the 45 release.

yeah, and some blooger has claimed to have them, only his files are of the LP tracks. JIVEASS HIPSTER! :g

• 2 weeks later...

The 1987 reissue LP includes alternates of two other tunes. The short running time of "Something Wonderful" suggests a 45 rpm release. Now did they find the tape of the two tracks released on the 45 and found they were simply edited and left them off? I guess someone has to buy a copy of that single and compare. The music is good enough to justify the investment. I once had to do this to verify differences between some Cal Tjader takes.

R-4699442-1446157675-6895.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Tommy-Flanagan-With-The-Wilbur-Harden-Quartet-Plays-The-Music-Of-Rodgers-Hammerstein/release/4699442

The French CD version even has a 3rd alternate, but again, not the two 45 tracks.

R-7468897-1522701351-8163.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Tommy-Flanagan-With-The-Wilbur-Harden-Quartet-Plays-The-Music-Of-Rodgers-Hammerstein/release/7468897