Organissimo group on facebook?

mikeweil

As there is quite a number of froum members on facebook I thought about opening a group open only for forum members to have a medium of communication in case of shutdowns etc. 

What do you think?

I`d start a poll but can't find the option ...

Edited by mikeweil

How would this work? Would it be open only in case of shutdown, or always open? And what if people decide to go there instead of here because there's a expense in providing this forum and none to FB, and then they can go to FB and stay there, will this cause this place to wither and die at an accelerated pace? Also, how would you let all board members know about this site once its up?

Can't stop you or anybody else from doing Facebook, but how do you keep a Plan B from killing off Plan A? Or is that at all a concern?

I don't see FB as replacing this BB.  It's impossible to find a thread there after a day or two.  Its inconsistencies are maddening.  Would love to see this BB get on a surer financial footing.  Perhaps someone can ask Clint Eastwood to sponsor it; it would probably be chump change to him.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Am I'm not in any way meaning to imply or infer that he is, but how do you have a FB page that is only open "in case of emergency"?

I mean, I don't know, maybe you can?

Sure you can.  Just create a group and set it to "private."  Then use it as needed.

1 minute ago, mjzee said:

It's impossible to find a thread there after a day or two. 

Please call that out the next time it happens to you. Pretty sure I can help.

Now, if that's regarding the Search function, sorry, you're on your own there, mostly. But if you're using the search function for a thread that' just a couple days old...maybe some St John's Wort would help? :g

That backup site was a little mini-board that some guy (and fullest apologies for not remembering who it was) set up on his own, totally independent  (subsite of his website, IIRC) and totally flick-of-a-switch-able. Other than being totally different from Facebook in every way, no not that different at all! :g

If this place dies (and it will, one day). I'd prefer it be a natural death and/or an owner's decision, not b/c of well-intentioned Facebook-induced unintentional consequences. Don't let Organissimo get Odwalla-ed!

Unless, of course, your preference is Facebook, in which case, it's already there. Likefriend or whatever it is how that works. Just keep in mind - it's corporate like a mo, no matter what they tell you, your data is harvested in a way ruthlessly and relentlessly, and...it's Facebook, for crissakes.

As for other options (and yes, a Plan B is not at all a bad idea), this place is still around: https://jazztalk.net/

IIRC, the last time "we" did that to "them", there was bad blood, but now, who knows. Many people on both sites have died or otherwise disappeared, and I'd like to think that those of us who are left would have gratitude for each other being there in a pinch?

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That backup site was a little mini-board that some guy (and fullest apologies for not remembering who it was) set up on his own, totally independent  (subsite of his website, IIRC) and totally flick-of-a-switch-able. Other than being totally different from Facebook in every way, no not that different at all! :g

If this place dies (and it will, one day). I'd prefer it be a natural death and/or an owner's decision, not b/c of well-intentioned Facebook-induced unintentional consequences. Don't let Organissimo get Odwalla-ed!

Unless, of course, your preference is Facebook, in which case, it's already there. Likefriend or whatever it is how that works. Just keep in mind - it's corporate like a mo, no matter what they tell you, your data is harvested in a way ruthlessly and relentlessly, and...it's Facebook, for crissakes.

As for other options (and yes, a Plan B is not at all a bad idea), this place is still around: https://jazztalk.net/

IIRC, the last time "we" did that to "them", there was bad blood, but now, who knows. Many people on both sites have died or otherwise disappeared, and I'd like to think that those of us who are left would have gratitude for each other being there in a pinch?

I’m sure you’re right about that other backup site. All I can remember is that there was one.

I hope this place doesn’t die. If we fork over the money to keep it going, it shouldn’t, and my preference is definitely not FB. Perhaps we could create a backup site in lieu of using FB.

Never heard of Jazz Talk. I was first thinking that was Lois Gilbert’s place but then I remembered hers was Jazz Corner. 

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Never heard of Jazz Talk. was first thinking that was Lois Gilbert’s place but then I remembered hers was Jazz Corner. 

It was founded by the late Ron Thorne (with funding and early admin work by Scott Dolan) and after JazzCorner died, many of the regulars there tried both this place and that one and chose accordingly to which they liked.

These days, there's not a lot of traffic there, but they still exist, still open for business. I still look in once in awhile, just because.

Just now, JSngry said:

It was founded by the late Ron Thorne (with funding and early admin work by Scott Dolan) and after JazzCorner died, many of the regulars there tried both this place and that one and chose accordingly to which they liked.

These days, there's not a lot of traffic there, but they still exist, still open for business. I still look in once in awhile, just because.

I just looked there and it doesn’t seem all that busy. 

AFAIK there is the option of having the group only open to accepted members, which was what I had in mind. I thought of a situation a while back when the forum was down for some reason and I was glad to have a few people's e-mail adresses to find out what was happening. By no means I want to draw activity away from here. I got the idea in the first place because many board members already are on facebook and it would be nice to have them somehow connected, as their forum names and facebook identities are not always the same.

Edited by mikeweil

22 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

AFAIK there is the option of having the group only open to accepted members, which was what I had in mind.

Yeah, you can do that, but AFAIK you can't set it up to only be open at certain times. Once you create it, it's always open, and it always belongs to Facebook, not to Jim Altredson and the community.

So, once you create your page, how will you notify members that it's open and how they can get there? What if they don't have a Facebook account. and what if the one they have is already private because they don't like the way that Facebook takes even private accounts and starts trying to link you up with people who are friends of friends of friends (and yes, they do this, my account is set to the most private settings possible, and I still get that shit, and how does THAT happen?)

And then there's the evolutionary issue - it might well be that many people prefer the "wall" model to the "forum" model, but...just think about unintended consequences, that's all I'm saying.

I just despise Facebook, I really do. I don't like them, i don't trust them, I think they're predators, liars, crooks and just bad for society in general. Not the concept, the company. They would be the last place I would want to channel this community to.

But that's just me.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

And then there's the evolutionary issue - it might well be that many people prefer the "wall" model to the "forum" model, but...just think about unintended consequences, that's all I'm saying.

I'd never post any serious inquiry on facebook, not even if there were a jazz group. The place for that is here, and I would refer anybody to do that here. The sole function in my eyes would be to summon all people being both on this forum and on facebook, just for the option to get in touch, in case ..... 

Ok, so...how do you get members here to get on that page? What if their existing FB account is uber-private (such as it is)? Would people have to then create a new FB account, probably using their real name (or existing board name), either way, you got people entering into the Facebook ecosystem just to keep up with the board if there's ever an outage?

And if it IS for members only, this Facebook site, how do prevent people from picking a random member (or other) name? What's the vetting/verification process going to be? Am I who I say I am? What kind of confirmation of identity are you going to require?

You do not - can not - create any kind of a Facebook account without entering into their ecosystem, if just can't be done. Some people (many people) don't mind doing that, but some do. Seriously, Facebook is not your friend, they make it easy for you to put it all out there, but that's why they make it so easy for you - so they can take it.

It's a good concept, just not for Facebook. Doesn't anybody have some kind of home page or an unused blog set-up, something they can set up to make announcements and allow for comments? That seems so much more non-intrusive a process than does Facebook...and to answer the question about how will people know to go to that site if there's an outage, well hell, how will they know to go to a Facebook page? Are you going to contact each member personally?

It ain't 1998 anymore, the internet is no longer free, and is really no longer your sincere friendbuddy, unless your good friendbuddy from back in the day is now your crack dealer and you his ho, and I know that shit happens, but...