Organissimo group on facebook?

mikeweil

I'm open for suggestions of any other internet platform or medium to have a means of communication outside this forum in case of an unexpected shutdown. But using Jazz Talk is not a good idea, I think, as there always is some kind of competition between two forums. 

Perhaps setting up an emergency mailing list is an alternative?

Again, no competition intended, and I only got the idea as many board members are already there. Without a clear vote from here I'd never start such a thing.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

... using Jazz Talk is not a good idea, I think, as there always is some kind of competition between two forums.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but...have you looked in there lately?

In a perfect (in my mind, anyway) world, Jim Alfredson would post notifications about board outages on the band's FB page.https://www.facebook.com/organissimo/

You don't have to have a FB account to look at that page and it would also...how many people on the board follow the band's actual activities? I know I don't, and certainly should, and...did you know he's doing streaming from his basement every Sunday? That might also be part of a perfect world, to get engaged with the activities of the guy who owns this place?

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but...have you looked in there lately?

In a perfect (in my mind, anyway) world, Jim Alfredson would post notifications about board outages on the band's FB page.https://www.facebook.com/organissimo/

You don't have to have a FB account to look at that page and it would also...how many people on the board follow the band's actual activities? I know I don't, and certainly should, and...did you know he's doing streaming from his basement every Sunday? That might also be part of a perfect world, to get engaged with the activities of the guy who owns this place?

Jim is actually much more active on Facebook than he is here. In fact, he rarely comes here at all these days. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he can post his political views there and can't here.

I think Jim (S) is making this way more complicated than it has to be.

It's entirely optional for someone who has a Facebook account to seek to join a PRIVATE group which Mike Weil would simply administer by approving new members. Those whose names are not recognizable from board usernames could PM Mike to let him know that he or she will seek to join the FB group, and he can approve it

No FB? Hate them with a passion? Then don't join. When the BNBB went down for good, there was no clearinghouse of info and people heard it thru the grapevine that people were congregating here. And there were some who were months (and months) behind the curve before they rejoined the diaspora.  So a lack of a facebook account would be equivalent to having off-board contacts who don't know what happened or what is happening. You'll live.

There is ZERO risk of discussion moving to the FB group. It won't happen. No one should be animated against this concept because of this "possibility". BUT as Jim has said, this place will go away someday. I've wondered if that someday is actually sooner than you think.  When the board goes down due to technical glitches, we can just keep checking but if it goes down because its down and out and done, this proposed FB group would allow members to discuss what happened and where we go from there. And when it goes down - there's no way to communicate thru it, now is there?

In short, this is a "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" type of thing and there's nothing wrong with that. At all. Even if its on FB. Because, if you don't want that in your life you don't have to have it.

I too, think, that we should not make too big a deal about it. 

For our Grand Poobah, FB is a means of promoting his musical activities (the band has its own FB page, too) and an outlet for his political opinions, which is fine. Political discussions, in general, tend to become a drag on forums. I believe most of us are glad that we do not have that here.

I like the "break glass in case of emergency" comparison, and I too, do not see the risk of moving any discussion there, as I, as a moderator of that group, would clearly state that the function of that group plainly is too have all forum members under one umbrella for contact in case of ...... just like a mailing list. 

This forum is for exchanging and discussing info and opinions, FB would be just a place where you can find and contact some people and spread important news. 

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

He probably would, but could be too busy dealing with any issues concerning the board to find the time and post there. We're friends on FB, and I follow his activities there, like the post of photos from his tours, and saw the band perform in the streamings. I will have a look at his friends list. Perhaps that already is what I had in mind. 

Edited by mikeweil

At this point, just do it. If people want to do it, they will. If they don't, for whatever reason, they won't.

I really don't see the point, though. If we need Facebook to connect, then we either don't need to be that connected or else we aren't trying very hard.

I have contacts with people here, people here have contacts with me, I have an email address listed in my profile, here, anybody who wants to have theirs listed can have the same. It's not complicated to do that, a helluva lot less complicated than letting Facebook suck you into their...whatever they are doing. What we've learned already is creepy, and what we've yet to learned can't be any better.

Again, if that's what you want to do, just do it. The current poll is showing an at best mixed results, so...build it and see who comes.

I get some of the "Facebook is evil stuff" but for what I use it for, I don't really care. I use it to keep in touch with old classmates, on-line friends and distant friends in a way that was never possible in the past. I post a picture or two of me having fun somewhere. A nice sunset. A good bottle I drank. Nothing embarrassing so no biggie. If someone repeatedly posts stupid shit, I "unfollow" them and their stupid shit doesn't show up any more. If FB wants to know what bottles I drink, more power to them. They aren't going to tell me what I can and can't do, so no skin off me.

Sure, they know your every want and desire and track where you go, but they are not alone in this. If you are on the web, someone is watching your every move. Whether it's Google or Apple or Yahoo! or CNN or Amazon, they all track every click when you are there and they store and use this info to line their pockets. If privacy is your thing, you're better off staying off the net completely. If you read the privacy policy of every website you visit, you'd know that this is true.

My biggest pet peeve about Facebook is that they allow complete loons to have a voice. Back before the internet, if you walked down the street and some lunatic was raving about how the Newtown shooting didn't really happen, you could just walk around the guy and leave him to his rants. Now, you have these loons ranting away and one of your friends gets wooed by his siren song and the next thing you know, they're posting some stupid meme about pizza joints and child prostitution. "I read about it on the Internet," should not be given the same weight as an encyclopedia entry. Facebook is a font of misinformation and is used by many unscrupulous people to negatively influence normally good people. If Facebook went away, I would not shed a tear but while it's here, I will continue to peek in and see how my old friends are doing.

And stay away from those basements of those Connecticut pizza joints!

Like Dan and Mike, I think too much is being made about this (I find it hard to believe we’ve had two pages worth of discussion about it.)

However, looking at the results of the poll, yes and no answers only, a majority are opposed, so far. If the trend continues, the better alternative would be a separate website. 

Edited by Brad

15 minutes ago, bresna said:

I get some of the "Facebook is evil stuff" but for what I use it for, I don't really care. I use it to keep in touch with old classmates, on-line friends and distant friends in a way that was never possible in the past. I post a picture or two of me having fun somewhere. A nice sunset. A good bottle I drank.

And that's exactly the type of thing I have every desire to avoid, especially when it's offered to me from other people by an algorithm.

I’ve never been on Facebook, and my wife only made an account years ago so she could access one piece of info on somebody else’s Facebook page (a business, iirc) - probably 7-8 years ago, and she hasn’t logged into it since.

From everything I’ve heard and read about even Facebook’s basic (normal) functionality, it’s the kind of platform I’ve never had any sort of interest in being on.

I’m delighted to discuss things in online forums, and on Reddit (all text-based, but it’s harder to have on-going discussions on Reddit, especially given the size of its user base).

Although I am mostly in agreement with the general “anti-Facebook” crowd that’s emerged in the last couple years (talking more generally, mind you, having nothing to do with the notion of an alternate ‘emergency’ Organissimo meetup place) - I will say that even when Facebook ‘works’, the basic way it works just isn’t my thing.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And that's exactly the type of thing I have every desire to avoid, especially when it's offered to me from other people by an algorithm.

See what I mean about misinformation? There is no algorithm dictating whose posts are shown and whose posts are not shown. You set the priority of stuff you see. If you don't set it yourself, Facebook will then run some algorithm to show you your friends posts in the order they think you want to see them. And if someone posts shit you don't want to see, you can unfollow anyone and once you do, they no longer show up in your feed. You do have control. You just have to exercise that control.

This "Facebook won't show me posts from Xxxxx Yyyyy" meme is totally false and every time I see someone post something like, "Please read and comment here so that you will continue to show up in my timeline" screed, I usually tell them that it's total BS. Just like the posts that state, "With this post, I deny Facebook legal rights to my photographs" blah, blah, blah. No. You post a picture on their platform, they "own" it too. You agreed to that when you signed up. You don't want them to have access, don't sign up. Also, you can't display it on your screen if they don't have it on their server, so they have to have access to it. Some people are just clueless about how computers & servers work.

we may be overthinking this; or under thinking. Or in between. Facebook has basically allowed me to revive my career as a musician and writer after I barely survived the hell hole of Maine, so I got no complaints. People get crazy, sure, but you block 'em or delete 'em.

No, not misinformation, and not what I meant/

What I meant is that FB will - WILL - start showing you people you might like to connect with, based on an algorithm that shows what "mutual friends" you might have.

I have one account, set up solely to allow videochats with our granddaughter and her other set of grandparents through an FB portal device. Phones were getting too clunky for that, and webcams will only get you so far.

I check out my son's family sites, and that's where it all begins, the HEY XXXXX , YOU MIGHT KNOW THESE PEOPLE!!!! and hell no, not EVEN going there with that. I tell it to stopss howing me this, and it never does.

Some of them i kinda know, but some of them I have never heard of in my life. And some of them....I never entered my place of employment on the account, nor to I use a real name. And YET - people I've worked with show up. People I used to know show up. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!

I totally get how privacy is an illusion (I was an early shouter about all that back in the dark ages, if you remember), but Facebook and its offshoots is/are a bridge too far for me. Whatever I've missed, I don't miss. And when this COVID shit is over, the portal goes in the closed, the links get deleted, and the FB account gets closed.

Still, I bet they find me anyway.