Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulpope

Ennio Morricone (1928 - 2020)

16 posts in this topic

imago0101093516h.jpg

Ennio Morricone (1928 - 2020)        R.I.P ....

Grande, grande, grande musica. Addio, maestro!

Let's not forget his essential contribution to Gruppo Di Improvvizone Nuova

I own more albums by Ennio Morricone than any other artist.

Ellington and Sun Ra would rank second and third, and not necessarily in that order.

RIP.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Let's not forget his essential contribution to Gruppo Di Improvvizone Nuova

Yep.

RIP.

Yes. I saw it in the news this midday, although with no volume, but I could still detect they were talking about Morricone. Let's see what they say this evening, my usual TV news time.

Morricone always turned out interesting scores, whether he was writing for a low budget Giallo or a huge production Academy Award winner. Along Herrmann and Raksin, he was one of my faves At 90,he was still doing world tours conducting his film scores up till last year(!), and apologized on his web site for having to cancel last year's tour because of ill health!

I was surprised to find that his 'serious',non-film music bore no relation to his film music. RIP, Maestro!

5 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Morricone always turned out interesting scores, whether he was writing for a low budget Giallo or a huge production Academy Award winner. Along Herrmann and Raksin, he was one of my faves At 90,he was still doing world tours conducting his film scores up till last year(!), and apologized on his web site for having to cancel last year's tour because of ill health!

I was surprised to find that his 'serious',non-film music bore no relation to his film music. RIP, Maestro!

My favorite Morricone period is roughly late-60s to about mid-70s.  There was a definite drop-off after he stopped working with Bruno Nicolai, although there are some great scores afterwards.

Morricone's sense of development is fascinating.  During his Bacharach-influenced period, some of those tracks sound like a usual Bacharach-esque progression slowed down to a glacial tempo.  It has a mildly unsettling effect, because you lose track of where the home key is when slowed down so much.  

I also feel that the Morricone's thematic development is telegraphing something on a subliminal level that you can't quite grasp, like you are looking at individual pieces of a puzzle and then seeing the whole image only much later.  

I listen primarily to film music, and I am constantly awed by Morricone.  

This was an inspired album

R-539078-1564639404-7142.jpeg.jpg

See the source image

We have a copy of this, I enjoy it but can't say I listen to it often.

IIRC (and I often don't) I sent someone on this board an Lp of a Morricone score for an obscure Italian movie called Allonsanfan

BTW Here's an interesting note from the LA Times Obituary:

It was a 1960s recording made in Rome of the Woody Guthrie song “Pastures of Plenty” that launched Morricone’s international career. The seemingly incongruous mixture of sounds in the orchestration — surging violins, the crack of a whip, church bells, an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, chimes and a chanting male chorus — so entranced Leone that he ditched his original choice of composer and hired Morricone to score what became 1964’s “A Fistful of Dollars.

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

Nice piece in the NYT by John Zorn

AN APPRAISAL

Ennio Morricone Was More Than Just a Great Film Composer
He was one of the great composers, period.

Here's a good companion article about his avant-garde work:  https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-07-07/ennio-morricone-dies-concert-music-songs

This is a really nice album.  There's a second volume as well.

41Ok%2BdokyqL.jpg