should Mike Weil open an organissimo GROUP (NOT a forum) as a backup on Facebook?

David Ayers

Poll: should Mike Weil open an organissimo GROUP (NOT a forum) as a backup on Facebook?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted NO.  I wish there was an emphatically no button.   I mostly lurk here and occasionally post.  I've gained so much information from this forum I would hate to have its existence challenged by what Facebook has become.

• I don't do social media and have no interest is starting. 
  • I'm familiar enough with Facebook to know that it would be tough to go back and revisit older posts for retrospective info and comments. 
  • I really like the community that has been established here. 
  • It seems like someone comes here to talk about jazz with a few other threads that broaden the scope. 
  • I would hate to have this forum whither away and be replaced by a platform in which jazz and music are not the focus.
  • I like the no politics approach here as well. Sorry, but I would not enjoy knowing who likes  or hates Trump or Biden, who supports Brexit, BLM, believes in climate change, Confederate monuments or any other political issue. 
  • I like and enjoy the respite from that and focus on music.
  • I like that all the information is here.  I don't have to check here for an album review and then have to go to Facebook to see if there are any comments there on the same topic etc etc etc

I understand the intent and idea was benign.  Once in a while, the board goes down.  Personally, I can survive. An alternative site - Jazz Talk - has been proposed.  I think that's all that is needed.

Edited by Lyin' Wolf

First off, I think the topic needs to be changed to "open an organissimo group", not a "forum". Facebook does not support forums. And for those unaware of how groups work, they can be as active or inactive as one wishes and you'll only hear about it if someone posts there. and as mentioned, posts are not easily grouped together or searched. Facebook is the opposite of a forum. For instance, I'm a member of the "JC" group, which is a private group made up of former members of the Jazz Corner forum. Every now & then, someone will post something there and all of us members get notified. When Ron Thorne died, I posted this there and it allowed me to let a lot of people who used to interact with him on the Jazz Corner to hear about it.

Secondly, no one needs permission to start a group. Mike, or anyone can start up a Facebook group and no one can force anyone to join it.

BTW - if someone was a member at the Jazz Corner and wants to see if someone you knew is on this Facebook group, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/139125146149678/

1 hour ago, bresna said:

First off, I think the topic needs to be changed to "open an organissimo group", not a "forum". Facebook does not support forums. And for those unaware of how groups work, they can be as active or inactive as one wishes and you'll only hear about it if someone posts there. and as mentioned, posts are not easily grouped together or searched. Facebook is the opposite of a forum. For instance, I'm a member of the "JC" group, which is a private group made up of former members of the Jazz Corner forum. Every now & then, someone will post something there and all of us members get notified. When Ron Thorne died, I posted this there and it allowed me to let a lot of people who used to interact with him on the Jazz Corner to hear about it.

Secondly, no one needs permission to start a group. Mike, or anyone can start up a Facebook group and no one can force anyone to join it.

BTW - if someone was a member at the Jazz Corner and wants to see if someone you knew is on this Facebook group, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/139125146149678/

But you already have a Facebook account, correct? And you use this existing account to join in this group, or is there some other way to get into it?

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But you already have a Facebook account, correct? And you use this existing account to join in this group, or is there some other way to get into it?

You need to be a Facebook member to join a group but the group can be "open" or "closed", which would allow the admin to only let in those he or she wants in the group. The admin can also turn on approval for all posts to the group, so if we really wanted to make this a group just for notification of when things here are broken, the admin could limit all posts except for posts about this and this alone.

But if I didn't put my FB account in there, the whole thing would be invisible to me and/or anybody else who didn't want to do that, correct? So in order to get an update, a person would have to engage with a platform which they have no interest or pleasure in engaging, correct? I click the O=Board link, nothing happens and I say oh shit, now I gotta join Facebook?

Again, the idea is dandy, but Facebook...yuck. Gotta be a better way.

9 hours ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

I voted NO.  I wish there was an emphatically no button.   I mostly lurk here and occasionally post.  I've gained so much information from this forum I would hate to have its existence challenged by what Facebook has become.

• I'm familiar enough with Facebook to know that it would be tough to go back and revisit older posts for retrospective info and comments. 
  • It seems like someone comes here to talk about jazz with a few other threads that broaden the scope. 
  • I would hate to have this forum whither away and be replaced by a platform in which jazz and music are not the focus.
  • I like the no politics approach here as well. Sorry, but I would not enjoy knowing who likes  or hates Trump or Biden, who supports Brexit, BLM, believes in climate change, Confederate monuments or any other political issue. 
  • I like that all the information is here.  I don't have to check here for an album review and then have to go to Facebook to see if there are any comments there on the same topic etc etc etc

I understand the intent and idea was benign.  Once in a while, the board goes down.  Personally, I can survive. An alternative site - Jazz Talk - has been proposed.  I think that's all that is needed.

+1

In EVERY essential respect!

Not for me. I choose to go nowhere near Facebook. As much as I enjoy this board I can live with the very occasional drop outs - worse things happen.

But if other folk wish to I can't honestly how or why it could be stopped. I do fear it would be the start of a slippery slope.

12 hours ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

You may have missed it in the other "discussion" thread if you are just posting in the poll thread, but no one is proposing that jazz discussion topics EVER migrate to Facebook.  

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

Why?

Well it may be an unfounded fear but I can see a scenario where conversations starting there will obviously be followed there and a parallel discussion group would emerge.

The board has shown a marked decline in members and traffic in the last few years (an impression, not based on any data) and anything that could potentially lead to fewer interactions here will also potentially undermine viability eventually.

Again, I stress if it's what individuals wish to do then so be it I have no argument with it in principle just fear for the ramifications here, that's all.

I'm in team no - I'm not using Facebook, not gonna start any time soon, and I'm afraid it would suck even more energy out of this place... We know now (or can maybe agree) that Mike Weil would open a Facebook alternative in case this place goes down... having that information is sufficient, we can all befriend him on FB when the time comes... until then I would recommend to do nothing.

Title altered as requested. 

One reason I’d like a group is to get to know more about people here. I’ve learned a lot I never knew from people’s COVID posts. Seems that despite your obsessions with hunting down every last alternate of every long-forgotten tootler you are capable and interesting human beings!

30 minutes ago, Niko said:

I'm in team no - I'm not using Facebook, not gonna start any time soon, and I'm afraid it would suck even more energy out of this place... We know now (or can maybe agree) that Mike Weil would open a Facebook alternative in case this place goes down... having that information is sufficient, we can all befriend him on FB when the time comes... until then I would recommend to do nothing.

We're having parallel discussions here with two active topics but no one is saying that Facebook even becomes an alternative in the future. As Kevin has explained Facebook is not conducive to use as a forum. As I said in the other thread, Mike's idea is a "break glass in case of emergency" where those who join the group can figure out what to do if/when this place is gone or down for an extended period. It is not a replacement and wouldn't be one in the future either.

8 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

One reason I’d like a group is to get to know more about people here. I’ve learned a lot I never knew from people’s COVID posts. Seems that despite your obsessions with hunting down every last alternate of every long-forgotten tootler you are capable and interesting human beings!

But why would you need Facebook for that? Start a thread in the Non-Music dusission forum and see what info you will get and if that suits your desires.

Having been able (or rather, forced, in my immediate surroundings ;)) to observe what FB does with other private fields of interest once there are both forums and FB "throw-a-line-or-two-in-the-wilderness-and-see-how-many-likes-I-get"-type posts on FB I agree all the way with what mjazzg said about the slippery slope. The danger is there that parallel structures will not encourage the life of the forum at all. And once there IS a FB "group" comvering the same field it is a safe bet to assume this will not remain a "fallback" emergency option only.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

6 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Now wait a sec, if you're a member of a group - private or not - I don't think other members are automatically connected. You can only see what happens in the confines of the group. So David if you are curious about others, start those friend requests! Conversations "about" each other on Facebook would take away from here.

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But why would you need Facebook for that? Start a thread in the Non-Music dusission forum and see what info you will get and if that suits your desires.

Having been able (or rather, forced, in my immediate surroundings ;)) to observe what FB does with other private fields of interest once there are both forums and FB "throw-a-line-or-two-in-the-wilderness-and-see-how-many-likes-I-get"-type posts on FB I agree all the way with what mjazzg said about the slippery slope. The danger is there that parallel structures will not encourage the life of the forum at all. And once there IS a FB "group" comvering the same field it is a safe bet to assume this will not remain a "fallback" emergency option only.

Not if Mike, as administrator, doesn't tolerate such FB posts.

I am on  some 78 groups because I am still looking for Percy France's first recording. I could almost imagine the Facebook groups supplanting an existing discussion board but not really. It would be a "forum" that consists of two categories: What did you buy/listen to and Offering/Looking for. That covers 99.9% of all posts in those groups.

9 hours ago, mikeweil said:

As a consequence to this discussion two organissimo forum members asked me for friendship on facebook. Perhaps this will do the job for me. Please feel free to ask me, fellow boarders!

https://www.facebook.com/michael.weil.96

Mike I can’t friend you only follow you! 

A lot of folks here don’t use their own names and will be very difficult to find on Facebook, hence a group could be useful at least from my point of view. I do hear what others are saying.