Spiritual Jazz, vol. 12 Impulse! on its way

mjazzg

Well, first off, anyone really into this sub-genre is gonna own basically everything on there.  Second, a couple of strange choices.  Not sure how "A Taste of Honey" by Phil Woods jumps out as "spiritual jazz".  That being said, nice series, and there is a lot of really wonderful music on this set.

My thoughts almost exactly.  It's almost a Impulse Greatest Hits.

I wondered whether the Woods, Klemmer and perhaps even the White are the 'obscure' hooks for those sitting on the "I've got all this already" fence.  Mind you, I don't think we or our ilk are the real market here.  This will shift to people discovering Jazz and wanting to dive into a renowned label and all power to their elbow for doing so and to Jazzman for providing the opportunity to them.

I’m sure I’ll get this, even though I have half the music already.

I already own vols 1-10 (including the Blue Note vol, #10 iirc). Still need to pick up vol 11 (Steeplechase).

Wish they’d stuck with more obscure stuff, rather than label-centric releases - but it’s such a wonderful series, I’ve been buying them all over the years - even vol 7, which was the toughest to track down (had to get it from the UK).

I also owned almost every track from the 2CD “Blue Note” volume, but figured I ought to be supportive of what they’re doing with the series (or at least everything from vol 1-8, before the “label” releases started).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’m sure I’ll get this, even though I have half the music already.

I already own vols 1-10 (including the Blue Note vol, #10 iirc). Still need to pick up vol 11 (Steeplechase).

Wish they’d stuck with more obscure stuff, rather than label-centric releases - but it’s such a wonderful series, I’ve been buying them all over the years - even vol 7, which was the toughest to track down (had to get it from the UK).

I also owned almost every track from the 2CD “Blue Note” volume, but figured I ought to be supportive of what they’re doing with the series (or at least everything from vol 1-8, before the “label” releases started).

On the very same page with you in all respects, Rooster.  

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

On the very same page with you in all respects, Rooster.  

I was tickled pink that the Blue Note comp in the spiritual jazz series, included this obscure track.

• Solomon Ilori - “Igbesi Aiye (Song of Praise to God)”

This is one of the 3 bonus tracks from the 2nd Solomon Ilori session that remained unreleased until 2006 (when the Conn of the Ilori came out).

I’ve said it before (started a whole thread about it once), but I absolutely love that second Ilori session, and love that the Spiritual Jazz series brought some attention to it).

37 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I was tickled pink that the Blue Note comp in the spiritual jazz series, included this obscure track.

• Solomon Ilori - “Igbesi Aiye (Song of Praise to God)”

This is one of the 3 bonus tracks from the 2nd Solomon Ilori session that remained unreleased until 2006 (when the Conn of the Ilori came out).

I’ve said it before (started a whole thread about it once), but I absolutely love that second Ilori session, and love that the Spiritual Jazz series brought some attention to it).

Totally agree on the 2nd/bonus session being wonderful - unfortunately I didn't realize that when the CD was easy to find so now I wish BN would issue it on vinyl by itself, and do the rest of the session (2 more cuts IIRC) while the're at it.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

impulse! really went after the then-college crowd. They tried, really they did.

R-9230627-1477056191-2592.jpeg.jpg

R-9230627-1477056194-8667.jpeg.jpg

And I was in college and went whole hog for it.  Never bought "No Energy Crisis" because I had so much of it on original albums by that point.  The On Tour was nice because that material was not on other albums.  Love the Klemmer cut especially.  Impulse was the generally available label to buy then.  The classic BN's were largely out of print by then, though they could be found in cut out bins and used stores.