Cleveland Eaton: 1939-2020

Justin V

Bassist Cleveland Eaton died on July 5th at the age of 80.  I know him mainly from his work with Count Basie.  He is on 88 Basie Street, which is one of my favorite Basie albums.  He is also on Sonny Stitt's Soul Girl (reissued as I Should Care), where he, Muhal Richard Abrams(!) and Wilbur Campbell are the rhythm section on the last 3 tracks.  I haven't heard his work with Ramsey Lewis.

Thank you for the music, Mr. Eaton, and rest in peace.

I heard him at his club in Birmingham, 1982. His house trio was backing Hank Crawford for a week, playing NOTHING  but no-bullshit bebop.

I personally prefer the Ramsey Lewis trio with Eaton & Jennings to that of Young/Holt. Heresy in many quarters, but I know what i like.

oh btw...

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I personally prefer the Ramsey Lewis trio with Eaton & Jennings to that of Young/Holt.

Me too.  "Upendo Ni Pamoja" and "Funky Serenity", especially the first one, are my go-to Ramsey Lewis albums.

Edited by felser

I also put “Upendo...” high on my list, Eaton is particularly strong on it - but part of the reason he stands out is that the recording puts him right up front, he almost dominates! He is also strong on “Dancing in the Streets,” recorded live in San Francisco, which is actually one of the least commercial of Lewis recordings. (I think the original trio was better experienced in person - Young, and especially Holt, were showmen, that was part of the presentation, which doesn’t come across on record.)