Blakey Just Coolin' review

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, bertrand said:

Hmmm. So Alfred went as far as picking master takes, apparently. Why would he have done that if he hated the session?

It was a month between the studio and live dates. That would be time enough to listen and choose "master takes" then after hearing the tapes from Birdland saying "forget this let's just put out the live date". I don't know that he hated it from the start or he would have sent everyone home right? But its not surprising to have him change the notations to "rejected" after the live sets.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Speak Like A Child

Caramba

Charisma

New York Is Now

Slow Drag

Grass Roots

Everything I Play Is Funky

God, i don't know how many more.

These are LPs mind you, not CDs.

Aren't these just gatefold LPs? I never thought of these as any sort cost cutting effort. If anything, these should cost more than a standard tip in jacket. In fact, when Impulse! started up, they advertised their LPs as being housed in "deluxe gatefold" sleeves. When ABC took over, they changed over to regular sleeves as a cost-cutting measure.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Speak Like A Child

Caramba

Charisma

New York Is Now

Slow Drag

Grass Roots

Everything I Play Is Funky

God, i don't know how many more.

These are LPs mind you, not CDs.

Well, since this is a cd release, what about cds?

The ones that I have are not Unipaks. 

30 minutes ago, bresna said:

Aren't these just gatefold LPs? I never thought of these as any sort cost cutting effort. If anything, these should cost more than a standard tip in jacket. In fact, when Impulse! started up, they advertised their LPs as being housed in "deluxe gatefold" sleeves. When ABC took over, they changed over to regular sleeves as a cost-cutting measure.

Nope, not gatefolds. The record came out from the inside. It was a one-piece cardboard thing. Go to the record store and find one (when that becomes doable), you'll see the difference.

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Well, since this is a cd release, what about cds?

The ones that I have are not Unipaks. 

Unipaks were an LP-era thing. Their reference in this thread was entirely humorous in intent. Although this is a Unipak concept, it's actually more deluxe than a Unipak because it's actually got carboard pasted on to other cardboard.

A Unipak, the record comes out from inside the opened jacket, just like the CD does on this one.

I said Grass Roots earlier, but that's incorrect. My bad. However, Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music, that was a Unipak.

R-872192-1445036102-1422.jpeg.jpg

The record came out form this inside. If you didn't open it up, you couldn't get to the record.

Ingenious design, really, a single piece of cardboard. Paperboard, even, maybe.

30 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I have the Japanese RVG of Caramba. . . a beautiful gatefold mini-LP. Sounds really good too.

Where is the opening to pull the disc out? Inside or outside?

32 minutes ago, Brad said:

The cardboard on the LPs may have been better but the cardboard on this cd is flimsy. 

HA!

This stuff is concrete compared to what they used for Unipaks.

The good thing about Unipaks was that records couldn't fall out. Happened more than you might think!

Also good, generally, was that you still had a whole surface on the inside for liner notes, etc. The back cover was wide open for photos, and Blue Note tended to offer great stuff there.

I was looking for a pattern or when/who got Unipak records and couldn't find one. Obviously post-Liberty/pre-UA, but that's about it.

I have to admit I did not know the name "unipak" (though have certainly owned a few) and I have definitely never seen a unipak BN anywhere, ever. But then again for the list above if they had CD releases I almost certainly skipped right over them in the bin.

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I have to admit I did not know the name "unipak" (though have certainly owned a few) and I have definitely never seen a unipak BN anywhere, ever. But then again for the list above if they had CD releases I almost certainly skipped right over them in the bin.

I have a Liberty ‘Speak Like a Child’ in that format and I have seen a (beat up) Lonnie Smith ‘Think’ that had it. I might have more - will have to check.

Thinking about it, I also have ‘Caramba’, Charisma’, ‘..Funky’ and ‘Grass Roots’ with the unipak.

A&M Horizon, of course, were the gods of unipak.

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/23/2020 at 6:57 PM, JSngry said:

I just puckered it up a little bit and teased it on out. No buiggie, it plays just fine, and what I can't see or hear, hey.

What will BN do when it comes time to reissue an originally Unipak LP? Do they have the guts to do it OG style?

you like unipaks my guy? im all for gatefolds....but, 

38 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

you like unipaks my guy? im all for gatefolds....but, 

Not a question of "liking" them, just recognizing them as the period-specific artifacts they are.

There are some that I do like, at least as many more that I don't.

New York Is Now, though, that's one of the all time best Unipaks….this picture is just luminous (and a lot more in focus than this):

R-1545642-1445803211-4550.jpeg.jpg