Rarest "classic" BN in CD Era?

Dan Gould

I just discovered that Bill Henderson did two 45s with Jimmy Smith backing in 1958 ... was this ever issued in the CD era?

Not according to the Blue Note Discography project:

https://www.jazzdisco.org/blue-note-records/discography-1957-1958/#581014

Is there anything else so totally ignored in the CD era?

2 hours ago, felser said:

This one, with Mickey Tucker, Sir Roland Hanna, Richard Davis, and Eddie Gladden.  It's a nice set:

The New Heritage Keyboard Quartet by The New Heritage Keyboard ...

I would certainly not classify this as being from the "classic" era of Blue Note. I would think that from a historical perspective, the classic era ended ~1970, when Francis Wolff stopped producing their recording sessions. I don't think many would consider these George Butler sessions "classic".

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I would certainly not classify this as being from the "classic" era of Blue Note. I would think that from a historical perspective, the classic era ended in 1970, when Francis Wolff stopped producing their recording sessions. I don't think many would consider these George Butler sessions "classic".

It's not a classic era, and I would argue that ended in 1967 when Alfred Lion exited, and didn't begin until around 1955-1956 with the advent of the LP.  But it's a nice album, and BN did many good (and many more bad) and some great albums throughout the 70's. 

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

It's not a classic era, and I would argue that ended in 1967 when Alfred Lion exited, and didn't begin until around 1955-1956 with the advent of the LP. 

There are those who would LOL at that statement while suggesting that the the "classic Blue Note era" had already ended by then.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

There are those who would LOL at that statement while suggesting that the the "classic Blue Note era" had already ended by then.

I"m aware of that.  To each their own.   I'll take Andrew Hill over Meade Lux Lewis and Wayne Shorter over Sidney Bechet.  Others feel quite strongly in the opposite directions.

I'll take 'em all, myself.

and be careful what you think about Sidney Bechet, if you're not careful, you can fail the whole exam by getting that one wrong. I thank god hourly that I didn't rush to take the test, otherwise I would have failed. And there are no makeups, this ain't no drivers license, this is LIFE!!!

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

if you're not careful, you can fail the whole exam by getting that one wrong

Thankfully it's more of a smorgasboard than an exam, we shovel what we like onto our plate regardless of whether it is the chef's specialty or not.  And for all music, including the stuff I love the most (Harper, etc.), it's all YMMV.    

Yeah YMMV, but sooner or later, in some form or fashion, you do pay for that mileage. A toll road is a freeway until you get to the tollbooth.

And yes, there will be a test. Every day is a test really. Somebody tries to get you to bite on some piece of bullshit and/or misdirection and/or false narrative. A true discernment is the result of an ongoingly engaged refinement, revelation, and realization. Putting some dots together to see where the roads really go, both to and from.

Like I said, be careful what you think about Sidney Bechet. Him and earl Hines were the only two people who could meet Louis Armstrong on wholly equal terms and stay the course. There are some pretty serious implications there.

The hardest to find for me was Paul Chamber´s "Bass on Top". It was not on RVG and not on Conoisseur and not on the other regular reissues until I finally ordered it from Japan, even there were not many reissues of it, my copy is one of those mini LP cover CDs. 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The hardest to find for me was Paul Chamber´s "Bass on Top". It was not on RVG and not on Conoisseur and not on the other regular reissues until I finally ordered it from Japan, even there were not many reissues of it, my copy is one of those mini LP cover CDs. 

Maybe it is different in Austria, but here in the US, "Bass on Top" was issued several times and fairly easy to find. It was issued as a regular CD in 1987 and reissued in the short-lived "Collector's Choice" series in ~1995. It was part of the RVG series in both the US & Japan. It was also part of the Mosaic Select box if you bought that.

Edited by bresna

6 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

AFAIK the CD version of Total Eclipse was sold out quickly. Never saw a copy in a 1990's store. Still have the LP. Used copies are not exceedingly high priced, but above average.

R-1830676-1246305215.jpeg.jpg

Hutcherson's "Total Eclipse" was issued on CD in the US fairly early on. Unfortunately, back then the accountants at Blue Note decided which titles got deleted and they did this using some arbitrary number of sales per year. I was told it was "less than 500 copies". Because of these deletions, it made it very hard to find these titles for many years.

Most of these early deleted US Blue Note CDs were reissued in the  "Collector's Choice" series. This series was Michael Cuscuna's effort to get a bunch of CDs back into print by getting the OK to do a "one shot" pressing, with no changes to the artwork or mastering of the CD (they used the original glass CD masters). They did paint the CD labels white, which is how you can identify them. When those CDs hit the shelves, you had to have your wallet ready. Whatever the number was that they pressed, that was it. I bought a bunch myself. Someone has a list of them on discogs, but I don't know if it is complete:

Joyride  album cover Stanley Turrentine     Joyride(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

The Rumproller  album cover

Lee Morgan

The Rumproller (Album)

Indestructible  album cover Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Indestructible(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Una Mas (One More Time)  album cover Kenny Dorham Una Mas (One More Time)(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Happenings  album cover Bobby Hutcherson Happenings(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

The 3 Sounds  album cover The Three Sounds The 3 Sounds(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Bass On Top  album cover Paul Chambers Quartet Bass On Top(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Introducing Johnny Griffin  album cover Johnny Griffin Introducing Johnny Griffin(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Dialogue  album cover Bobby Hutcherson Dialogue(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Look Out!  album cover Stanley Turrentine Look Out!(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Blue Spirits  album cover Freddie Hubbard Blue Spirits(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

The Magnificent Thad Jones  album cover Thad Jones The Magnificent Thad Jones(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

One Step Beyond  album cover Jackie McLean One Step Beyond(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Hank Mobley Roll Call(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Flight To Jordan  album cover Duke Jordan Flight To Jordan(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

The Prisoner  album cover Herbie Hancock The Prisoner(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Easy Living  album cover Ike Quebec Easy Living(CD, Album, RP)      

The Swingers!  album cover Lambert, Hendricks & Ross With Zoot Sims The Swingers!(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

New Bottle Old Wine  album cover Gil Evans New Bottle Old Wine(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Ritual  album cover The Jazz Messengers Featuring Art Blakey* Ritual(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

Quartet / Quintet / Sextet  album cover Lou Donaldson Quartet / Quintet / Sextet(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

6 Pieces Of Silver  album cover Horace Silver Quintet* 6 Pieces Of Silver(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Byrd In Hand  album cover Donald Byrd Byrd In Hand(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Open Sesame  album cover Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame(CD, Album, Ltd, RE)      

A.T.'s Delight  album cover Art Taylor A.T.'s Delight(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Undercurrent  album cover Kenny Drew Undercurrent(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Comin' Your Way  album cover Stanley Turrentine Comin' Your Way(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Hub Cap  album cover Freddie Hubbard Hub Cap(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

My Point Of View  album cover Herbie Hancock My Point Of View(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Blue John  album cover 'Big' John Patton* Blue John(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Our Thing  album cover Joe Henderson Our Thing(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Evolution  album cover Grachan Moncur III Evolution(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

The Thing To Do  album cover Blue Mitchell The Thing To Do(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Life Time  album cover Tony Williams* Life Time(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Trompeta Toccata  album cover Kenny Dorham Trompeta Toccata(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Wahoo!  album cover Duke Pearson Wahoo!(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Unity  album cover Larry Young Unity(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Delightfulee  album cover Lee Morgan Delightfulee(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Like Someone In Love  album cover Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers* Like Someone In Love(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

Lush Life  album cover Lou Donaldson Lush Life(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Dimensions & Extensions  album cover Sam Rivers Dimensions & Extensions(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Hi Voltage  album cover Hank Mobley Hi Voltage(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Tender Moments  album cover McCoy Tyner Tender Moments(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Serenade To A Soul Sister  album cover The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine Serenade To A Soul Sister(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Puttin' It Together  album cover The New Elvin Jones Trio Puttin' It Together(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Total Eclipse  album cover Bobby Hutcherson Total Eclipse(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Time For Tyner  album cover McCoy Tyner Time For Tyner(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Poly-Currents  album cover Elvin Jones Poly-Currents(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Expansions  album cover McCoy Tyner Expansions(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Demon's Dance  album cover Jackie McLean Demon's Dance(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

Odyssey Of Iska  album cover Wayne Shorter Odyssey Of Iska(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Far Away Lands  album cover Hank Mobley Far Away Lands(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

The Rajah  album cover Lee Morgan The Rajah(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Tippin' The Scales  album cover Jackie McLean Tippin' The Scales(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Another Workout  album cover Hank Mobley Another Workout(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Babe's Blues  album cover The Three Sounds Babe's Blues(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

New Sounds  album cover Art Blakey And James Moody New Sounds(CD, Comp, Ltd, RP)      

Chambers' Music  album cover Paul Chambers (3) Chambers' Music(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

Oblique  album cover Bobby Hutcherson Oblique(CD, Album, RE, RP)      

Portraits  album cover Gerald Wilson Orchestra Portraits(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RP)      

Tenors Head-On  album cover Bill Perkins & Richie Kamuca Tenors Head-On(CD, Album, Mono, Ltd, RE, RP)    

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Really? Discogs mentions 19 reissues on cd?

Edited by Pim

46 minutes ago, bresna said:

I sold one for $350 and the one before that sold for almost $500. :)

The hardest one for me to find was Jimmy Smith's "Cool Blues".

I confess I purchased an expensive copy of SNF :wub: but nothing like that.