Do You Like/Tolerate/Hate Your Significant Other's Music?

Dan Gould

Flip side of TTK's topic. We've heard about your significant other's tolerance for jazz, how do you feel about their preferred genre(s)?

I will say I really do not tolerate my wife's musical interests very well but on the positive side she doesn't play music in the house only in her truck and when we are in the same car it is usually mine. But I would voluntarily listen to Sammy Hagar or Def Leppard or about anyone else in her collection only if we were taking a long trip and sharing control of the CD player. 

Yes, very happy to listen to most of it - Phillip Glass, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Leonard Cohen, Suzanne Vega, Nick Cave, Hilliard Ensemble, Neil Young, Terry Caller, Massive Attack many of whom I knew and liked before we got together... less keen on all the Bob Dylan but then I have always been very agnostic on that front

My girlfriend and I don't live together, but we share a great deal of taste in music--she really likes jazz, for starters.  Some of her favorite artists include Howlin' Wolf, Booker T and the MGs, Prince, David Bowie, Ray Charles, Frank Zappa, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Yo La Tengo.  I can't remember ever disliking anything she's had playing while I've been at her house.  We've also attended concerts of artists we both enjoy such as Beck, Patti Smith (Mark Stryker knows about this one!), the Stone Roses (w/Public Enemy and Buzzcocks as opening acts--BillF knows about this one!), and Elvis Costello.  I definitely feel lucky in more ways than one about this relationship (which passed the five-year mark this spring).  

I’m into quite a lot of music beside jazz (rock, hip-hop, metal, ‘world music’, folk and soul. But my wife seems to like the little music I hate. It’s mostly the stuff from the charts and reggaeton. Oh and absolutely the worst: famous popular songs played in a very lame ass way on a piano, elevator music to the max. God I hate that stuff. 

yeah there’s always a fight for the remote of the reciever in my house!

My wife loves the music of German "Liedermacher" - singer/songwriters. I often find their music on a level that's far below the level of their lyrics, I never liked that folk-style stuff. There's one exception: Konstantin Wecker, who is a real good musician, and has a very good band, even toured with a jazz group. I joined her several times when he performed in the area, the last time was one day before last New Year's Eve. He expresses a lot of the political and social issues our generation is concerned about.