LPs that you kept although you have a CD reissue - just for the cover!

mikeweil

Thumbing through my vinyl shelves today I noticed some that I have on CD as well, but never would sell because of the great covers. They changed the cover, for some reason.

This Al Hibbler had a different cover in its original Reprise LP issue, but the photo Discovery chose for their reissue is so beautiful! The recent CD reissue has the original cover.

R-9840085-1491074779-2054.jpeg.jpg

Sometimes I kept cover variations of certain ESP titles but I narrowed them down once I had to move across the country.

I did keep the Actuel and America duplicate releases of Arthur Jones' Scorpio and Jacques Coursil's Black Suite; the Americas sound better but I like to keep the full Actuel catalog intact. 

Otherwise, occasionally I keep CD reissues if there's extra music or if I did work on them in some form.

I keep singles of the Miles Davis Columbia's that are also on the box sets I have, and the same in a few other select cases of keeping favorites on single CD while I also have them in box sets, partly for the artwork, partly for convenience, partly for historical context, etc.  But those are all CD's.  I don't have the space, the listening setup (90% of my listening is through headphones while I work), or the inclination for vinyl, and I continue to actively seek to move the vinyl I do have (time permitting).

I kept the original LP (US ECM) of Chick Corea/Gary Burton in Zurich because the cover, as printed, is simply gorgeous - the detail, the color, and the pairing of the front cover and back (same photo perspective, but taken as the sun was setting).

R-1002048-1199633800.jpeg.jpgR-1002048-1404508383-4438.jpeg.jpg

A few LPs that I've kept just because I like the "big art" and/or the music so much -- even though I've also got them on CD:

Salt_Song.jpg  91OKHIN77UL._SL320_.jpg

R-3200780-1320227927.jpeg.jpg

91FuymlzE3L._SS320_.jpg  81MxhbjlKWL._SS320_.jpg

R-2675449-1296122723.jpeg.jpg

R-2368170-1279932898.jpeg.jpg

R-373458-1296126598.jpeg.jpg

R-813359-1423517854-4014.jpeg.jpg

BTW: I still very actively collect vinyl -- although 98% of it is used.  The convenience (and "on-the-go" listening potential) of digital is undeniable.  That said, I can't imagine giving up on vinyl -- especially when there's so much out there.  ... But I suppose that's another thread. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 20.7.2020 at 11:57 PM, mjzee said:

I kept the original LP (US ECM) of Chick Corea/Gary Burton in Zurich because the cover, as printed, is simply gorgeous - the detail, the color, and the pairing of the front cover and back (same photo perspective, but taken as the sun was setting).

IMO the vinyl has 2 or 3 more tracks than the CD which I have

On 20.7.2020 at 7:06 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Playboys (2008, Digipak, CD) | Discogs

The Reissue has a different cover. Have both Lp's.

Great cover art by David  Stone Martin is a collectors Item for itself. Could  also be a new thread.

Edited by jazzcorner

On 11/14/2020 at 0:32 PM, jazzcorner said:

IMO the vinyl has 2 or 3 more tracks than the CD which I have

The Reissue has a different cover. Have both Lp's.

Great cover art by David  Stone Martin is a collectors Item for itself. Could  also be a new thread.

Don't have the album, but in a similar vein with "Playboys":

91E+ra59W5L._AC_UY218_.jpg

On 14.11.2020 at 7:32 PM, jazzcorner said:
On 20.7.2020 at 7:06 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Playboys (2008, Digipak, CD) | Discogs

Below is the different cover Pacific Jazz PJ-18 (issued 1961) - Above is Pacific Jazz PJ-1234 (issued in 1957) . Tracks  (7) are in different order on both LPs-

39881741sn.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
different text

On 21.7.2020 at 4:02 PM, HutchFan said:

A few LPs that I've kept just because I like the "big art" and/or the music so much -- even though I've also got them on CD:

Salt_Song.jpg  91OKHIN77UL._SL320_.jpg

R-3200780-1320227927.jpeg.jpg

91FuymlzE3L._SS320_.jpg  81MxhbjlKWL._SS320_.jpg

R-2675449-1296122723.jpeg.jpg

R-2368170-1279932898.jpeg.jpg

R-373458-1296126598.jpeg.jpg

R-813359-1423517854-4014.jpeg.jpg

BTW: I still very actively collect vinyl -- although 98% of it is used.  The convenience (and "on-the-go" listening potential) of digital is undeniable.  That said, I can't imagine giving up on vinyl -- especially when there's so much out there.  ... But I suppose that's another thread. ;) 

I love the cover of Liebman´s "Drum Ode". So I also kept it, though I have the CD. 

But above all: I got my LP signed by the Master himself "Peace from Dave Liebman"...…..Beautiful, isn´t it. 

And this was the Dave Liebman-Band with the Young John Scofield on guitar. And it was John Scofield who helped me to meet Dave Liebman to get the Album signed.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love the cover of Liebman´s "Drum Ode". So I also kept it, though I have the CD. 

But above all: I got my LP signed by the Master himself "Peace from Dave Liebman"...…..Beautiful, isn´t it. 

And this was the Dave Liebman-Band with the Young John Scofield on guitar. And it was John Scofield who helped me to meet Dave Liebman to get the Album signed.

Very nice. :tup 

Similar story: I met Dave a few years ago after a concert and he signed Pendulum for me.  It's another cover with cool artwork by Eugene Gregan. 

R-14868472-1591582951-4074.jpeg.jpg

While he was signing it, Dave mentioned that this music had been reissued by Mosaic.  I replied, "Oh yeah, I have that too."  ;) 

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Very nice. :tup 

Similar story: I met Dave a few years ago after a concert and he signed Pendulum for me.  It's another cover with cool artwork by Eugene Gregan. 

R-14868472-1591582951-4074.jpeg.jpg

While he was signing it, Dave mentioned that this music had been reissued by Mosaic.  I replied, "Oh yeah, I have that too."  ;) 

Great story !

Dave Liebman-Richie Beirach would have been scheduled in my hometown on March 8th, but due to Covid it was chancelled. 

6 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Dave Liebman-Richie Beirach would have been scheduled in my hometown on March 8th, but due to Covid it was chancelled. 

Oh man. That's a bummer. ...  Maybe with vaccines on the horizon, it'll be rescheduled in the future.

I had a chance to see Lieb & Beirach in November last year at Mezzrow in NYC. 

Some pix of me being a goofy fan with two of my musical heroes.  :g

SM-Lieb.png   SM-Beirach.png'

It was a memorable night.  

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Oh man. That's a bummer. ...  Maybe with vaccines on the horizon, it'll be rescheduled in the future.

I had a chance to see Lieb & Beirach in November last year at Mezzrow in NYC. 

Some pix of me being a goofy fan with two of my musical heroes.  :g

SM-Lieb.png   SM-Beirach.png'

It was a memorable night.  

Great Pictures ! And the first time I see a pic of a board member ! 

Young man. 

I saw Dave Liebman for the first time in 1978. I think that year he also did a world tour with Chick Corea, but I missed that. Oh, those years, it was just a Chick Corea hype, everybody listened to "Return to Forever", Well, I can listen to that a few times, but not too often. But too bad that the concerts of Chick with Dave Liebman were not recorded….

On the other Hand, Liebman in his autobiography writes that he was not happy on that tour, some personal clashes with Chick Corea or something like that…..

The second time was one year later in 1979 with Liebman´s  own Group I think it was Terumaso Hino on pocket tp, John Scofield on g, Ron McClure on b, and Adam Nussbaum on dr., that was a great Group. 

Edited by Gheorghe