Charles McPherson

catesta

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3.5.2022 at 2:51 PM, JSngry said:

Once I heard "The Chill Of Death", that fixed me as McPherson admirer for all time.

At first listening (and this was after hearing my first Mingus 3-LP with Dolphy in Paris, the albums with McPherson maybe were a bit a disappointment to me ("Mingus at Monterey" and "My Favourite Quintet", but now I really like them. He sounds like a more mellow Bird maybe with a softer reed (maybe in the later years 1953,54). Since Mingus played with Bird in that period I think he chose McPherson for that "Bird Sound".  It´s very significant on his solos in the jam session "Mingus at Carnegie Hall 1974 ten years later. 

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

I really really really really really really wish he toured a little, I havent seen him in 25y

Charles is 82 years old so he probably needs to limit his touring these days. His website shows that he is playing at the Bern Switzerland Jazz Festival at the end of this month: https://charlesmcpherson.com/event/bern-switzerland-international-jazz-festival/2022-05-24/

You could always fly there. :)

9 hours ago, bresna said:

Charles is 82 years old so he probably needs to limit his touring these days. His website shows that he is playing at the Bern Switzerland Jazz Festival at the end of this month: https://charlesmcpherson.com/event/bern-switzerland-international-jazz-festival/2022-05-24/

You could always fly there. :)

you mean boat.  i could boat there.  glad hes playing, but sucks it so far for him- 

No, that one Venus cover - THAT was disrespecting Charles McPherson.

This is just BAU Organissimo Thread Drift.

Pretty sure that we all love Charles McPherson, and if I could get one of those Amphicars that could/would make the trip to Bern, yeah, I would do it. Damn straight I would.

Would you?

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

If anyone hasn't yet gotten the two CDs he offers at his website, I highly recommend them. I put one of the tracks from Jazz Dance Suites in my BFT offering last year and it got some good reviews. The other one, a 1990 live date, is excellent as well. 

I have both and you are correct that they are both very good.

FYI - I fixed your link.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, that one Venus cover - THAT was disrespecting Charles McPherson.

This is just BAU Organissimo Thread Drift.

Pretty sure that we all love Charles McPherson, and if I could get one of those Amphicars that could/would make the trip to Bern, yeah, I would do it. Damn straight I would.

Would you?

I did a phone interview awhile back with Charles McPherson and he was furious about the photo Tetsuo Hara chose for his CD. No wonder he never again recorded for the label. 

I’d love to hear Charles McPherson in any venue.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I did a phone interview awhile back with Charles McPherson and he was furious about the photo Tetsuo Hara chose for his CD. No wonder he never again recorded for the label. 

I’d love to hear Charles McPherson in any venue.

Wow - caught a glance of the Venus cover at Discogs - WTF?

• 8 months later...