New Corbett v Dempsey

cliffpeterson

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

I really like Nigel Coombes/Steve Beresford - White Strings Attached (reissued by Emanem) and Wachsmann/Oxley/Fuchs/Metcalfe - The Glider & The Grinder, in addition to the aforementioned Groups In Front of People LPs.

Thanks.  I'm a Fuchs fan so may start my search there

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Apart from the Stabbins which titles would you recommend?  I see 'Chamberpot' around most often I think

Chamberpot is great; White String's Attached is a wonderful piano-violin duo LP. Marsh Gas (Ian Brighton) is killer as well. The Alterations record is pretty sweet although I prefer their Quartz LP by a hair. After Being In Holland For Two Years (solo Peter Cusack) is grubby fun. Levers "Alone" is underrated and bonkers too. Groups In Front Of People I'm sure will get the reissue treatment -- essential and very out. I like the Oxley but I like other Oxley LPs a bit more. The first Bead, by A Touch of the Sun (Cusack/Mayo) is cool, supposedly issued in an edition of 99. My copy isn't in the greatest shape though I don't think the pressing is that high quality either.

52 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Chamberpot is great; White String's Attached is a wonderful piano-violin duo LP. Marsh Gas (Ian Brighton) is killer as well. The Alterations record is pretty sweet although I prefer their Quartz LP by a hair. After Being In Holland For Two Years (solo Peter Cusack) is grubby fun. Levers "Alone" is underrated and bonkers too. Groups In Front Of People I'm sure will get the reissue treatment -- essential and very out. I like the Oxley but I like other Oxley LPs a bit more. The first Bead, by A Touch of the Sun (Cusack/Mayo) is cool, supposedly issued in an edition of 99. My copy isn't in the greatest shape though I don't think the pressing is that high quality either.

Thanks Clifford.  I have my eye on a 'Chamberpot'

• 4 weeks later...

The next 3 titles are shipping from DG now: Peter Kowald Quintet (no extra material here), Phil Wachsmann - Writing In Water, and Sun Ra - Solar Myth Approach 1 & 2. 

Interesting note here about that last one:

As with many Arkestra records, the information on these gatefold packages was dubious at best. Here they appear with corrected lineups and dates, showing that the music actually stretches back to the early 1960s, but was assembled into a beautiful chronological mosaic that serves as a gripping survey of early-post-Chicago Ra. It's an ideal way to start listening to his music, and for his fans absolutely essential items in the gargantuan discography. These LPs have been reissued a number of times since BYG/Actuel folded, and with each new batch the fidelity has diminished, so that they've been a pale shadow of the original recordings. For the first time, the sound has been lovingly restored to a previously unimagined level of omniversal fidelity, and one track ("Scene 1 Take 1") that was mastered at the wrong speed on the original – perhaps a Ra idea, perhaps just a disconnect between the producers and the composer – has been included as a bonus track remastered at the corrected speed. Packaged in the glorious original LP designs, with a definitive essay by Irwin Chusid, this is The Solar-Myth Approach as it was meant to be experienced.

Thanks for the tip about the Sun Ra.

I have the solar-myth approach vol. 1 & 2 in the Fuel 2000 Records 2-CD reissue (2001). I also have recent lp reissues of both volumes but I will definitely get this version. Corbett vs Dempsey does quality work and I know this will be an upgrade frrom prior releases of this title.

I love the CvsD 2-CD reissue (2013) of Sun Ra Continuation. That is also a must have for any Sun Ra aficionados.

Edited by pglbook

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order at CvsD yesterday for the Sun Ra.

This is a great month for me for new Sun Ra. I picked up the the new Modern Harmonic reissue of Celestial Love a few days ago, just received the Egypt 1971 RSD 5lp box set in today's mail, and will soon receive the CvsD reisssue of solar-myth approach vol 1 & 2.

Edited by pglbook

6 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Huh -- I have the original Actuels, good performances but sound like shit. Didn't realize they were recorded that much earlier than 1970-71.

Sound on this new reissue is about as good as it can get for this material; very well mastered.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received Sun Ra's Solar-Myth Approach Vols. 1 & 2 in today's mail. I ordered directly from Corbett vs Dempsey. I am curious how the sound will compare to the previous CD version I have (the 2001 Fuel Records 2000 2-CD version) as well as the recent vinyl reissues I have of the 2 volumes. I am sure the new CvsD reissue will have improved sound quality and I look forward to listening to it this weekend.

Edited by pglbook

I had one previous version of this on cd that I gave away some years ago because it sounded dull and I had so much Ra. I had thinned out my Ra collection and now have built it back with the new legit reissues. This Corbett Vs Dempsey sounds fantastic imo--I'll be very surprised if you don't prefer it in comparison to other issues.

19 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I had one previous version of this on cd that I gave away some years ago because it sounded dull and I had so much Ra. I had thinned out my Ra collection and now have built it back with the new legit reissues. This Corbett Vs Dempsey sounds fantastic imo--I'll be very surprised if you don't prefer it in comparison to other issues.

that's good to know. I have the CvD version on order as I always found the sound wanting on the Charly edition