BBC Radio 6

Regularly listen to Gilles P and sometimes Craig Charles but find a lot of the rest of it all about too pleased with itself. Like Peel without the self-deprecation. Don't get me going on Maconie and his sidekick (who I loved 30 years ago but is still doing the same thing)

Cerys Matthews's eclecticism is easy on the ear too and after watching his Latin Music series I'll give Huey Lewis another go.

I guess I’m most familiar with Lauren Laverne (morning) and Steve Lamacq (teatime). Right now I’m enjoying a feature on and play through of Sign o the Times. 

I guess that station is just pleased to have survived the regular BBC culls. Advocacy always has that risk of turning into self satisfaction, I suppose. I’m just grateful for some interesting company and happy to be led. 

But yeah there is too much yapping, I guess that's why I prefer the drive-time programming!

Edited by David Ayers

There are some occasional goodies on the ‘6 Music Live Hour’. Ken Hyder’s Talisker in concert was on that one a couple of weeks ago.

The ‘Freak Zone’ used to do obscure British Jazz but they don’t seem to be into that these days.

Gideon Coe played a Charles Tolliver track last night I think ! Cerys Matthews also regularly throws in some hard bop or soul jazz.

Edited by sidewinder