Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardbopjazz

Happy Birthday, Kenny Burrell

16 posts in this topic

Hope all is well in Burrellworld!

Happy birthday to an artist who has always delivered great pleasure.  While not as innovative as some others, he is my favorite among all mainstream guitarists.  

I´ll never Forget the first time I heard him on record. It was his solos on "Whims of Chambers" and how much I like what he Plays. I never saw him live, but have a lot of his records.

Happy Birthday Kenny,

I first saw Kenny Burrell live back in about 1954 in Detroit when I was in high school.

Happy Birthday Kenny Burrell and best wishes for good health!

LWayne

14 years ago I went to his 75th Birthday Bash at Yoshi's. It was later released on BN. Quite an all star affair including Gerald Wilson, who I was honored to see.

R-1015003-1523476576-1695.jpeg.jpg

One of the finest, up there with Wes and Grant Green. He contributed greatly to countless Blue Note sessions and beyond.

I doubt that he will see this thread, but if so, Happy Birthday and thanks for all the excellent playing.

I've been listening to some of my personal playlists of Burrell.  One features him playing the blues; another is his work in intimate settings (solo, duo, trio); I have two of him playing nothing but Ellington and Strayhorn.

I have a total of 18 Kenny Burrell playlists.

I recently picked this up; recorded in 1989.  Was pleasantly surprised to see him do a version of Midnight Blue!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcps-static.rovicorp.com%