Does Humor Have A Sense Of Music?

JSngry

this looks awesome -- I'll have to watch it later, listening to something else right now. 

of course comedy and much in music is all about timing, so when the timing is good, it's really something. I worked on indexing the video oral history of Bob Newhart for a project in graduate school and it was a real lesson in more ways than one!

R-2335065-1277748352.jpeg.jpg

Tobias Hume

(c. 1569 -- 1645)

Musicall Humors

TO THE UNDERSTANDING READER

I Doe not studie Eloquence, or profess Musicke, although I doe love Sence, and affect Harmony: my Profession being, as my Education hath beene, Armes, the onely effeminate part of me, hath beene Musicke; which in mee hath beene alwayes Generous, because never Mercenarie. To prayse Musicke, were to say, the Sunne is bright. To extoll my selfe, would name my labors vaine glorious. Onely this, mu studies are far from servile imitations, I robbe no others inventions, I take no Italian Note to an English dittie, or filch fragments of Songs to stuffe out my volumes. There are mine own Phansies expressed by my proper Genius, which if thou dost dislike, let me see thine, Carpere vel noli nostra, vel ede tua, Now to use a modest shortnes, and a briefe expression of my seffe to all noble spirites, thus, My title expresseth my Bookes Contents, which (if my Hopes faile me not) shall not deceive their expectation, in whose approvement the crowne of my labors resteth. And from henceforth, the stateful instrument Gambo Violl shall with ease yeelde full various and as devicefull Musicke as the Lute. For here I protest the Trinitie of Musicke, parts, Passion and Division, to be as gracefully united in the Gambo Violl, as in the most received Instrument that is, which here with a Souldiers Resolution, I give up to the acceptance of at noble dispositions.

The friend of his friend,
TOBIAS HUME

There's often a humorous side to quoting in jazz solos. Just think of Bird's "Country Gardens" codas. A guy who knew nothing about jazz and just couldn't get it told me that he'd been to Ronnie Scott's where he'd been puzzled by people laughing every so often while musicians were playing. Why was that? he asked me. Quotes I guess.

• 2 weeks later...